cant decide what to get next

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by meglet, Jul 5, 2010.

1. meglet

meglet Hatching

Apr 10, 2010
    i have had chickens for a while and im completely hooked. i love their colors and their diversity. i just completely redid my chicken coop and yard and now im starting all over again, just keeping two of my last flock. (and snowy, my two favorite broodys) i want to get new birds eventualy, and cant decide what to get. i was going to get an assortment but was afraid i would get somethng that wasnt cold hardy eough to waithstand the cold and wet of the pacific northwest, and was wondering if any one had a spiecle favorite breed that they have had good experiences with. i want a friendly docile breed because i want to try showing them at our county fair.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010

2. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Songster

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Hummm, barred rocks are pretty friendly and hardy. I would suggest hatching your own eggs or buying for a breeder if you want to show your birds, hatching is so much fun!

3. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Songster

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    Hummm, barred rocks are pretty friendly and hardy. I would suggest hatching your own eggs or buying for a breeder if you want to show your birds, hatching is so much fun!

I agree. We have White Rocks and they are really friendly. We also have a sweet RIR, a NHR, and a Barnevelder, which would probably be great show birds. [​IMG]

4. meglet

meglet Hatching

Apr 10, 2010
    thanks. im thinking i will try barnevelders or faverolles.[​IMG]
    i really like favorolles but i would have to keep them on dry bedding to protect their feathery feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by