Can't decide!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Titus2Woman, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Titus2Woman

Titus2Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Ok, so I am designing my "dream coop and run" for my yard and well the cost is a bit much and may take me well over a year to be able to afford it. But, I want chickens sooner... [​IMG] I also have never had chickens before (although I have 4 birds in my house!)... so would a "starter coop" be a good idea for me to get started or should I hold out to build the long term coop I really want?

2. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Yes! A starter coop is a good idea. We all really start with a coop and then realize we should've done this or that or put it here or there. Build what will work, get some CHICKENS!!! [​IMG]

3. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    My starter coop is a dog house with a fenced run...
    We have an add on box on top of the dog box now because my bantams like's sitting on top of the box against the wire an I was scared they'd get snatched by a raccoon.. but to cost a wapping $40...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you're building your starter coop, how about building it so that you can add onto it later? Maybe start saving up the wood and/or funds and eventually make it bigger.

5. Titus2Woman

Sep 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:Silkiemomma I noticed you do not have a door on your coop and you used chicken wire. I would love to be able to use chicken wire for now due to the cost of hardware mesh... Are you in a warm climate? I am thinking I need a door since we get snow... [​IMG] I am not sure how to winterize these smaller coops...

6. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Silkiemomma I noticed you do not have a door on your coop and you used chicken wire. I would love to be able to use chicken wire for now due to the cost of hardware mesh... Are you in a warm climate? I am thinking I need a door since we get snow... [​IMG] I am not sure how to winterize these smaller coops...

Raccoons and dogs can and will chew through chicken wire so be very careful on that decision. [​IMG]

7. gale65

I wouldn't use chicken wire no matter where you are. There are stories in the predator section about people who have had animals (wild and not wild) rip right through it. If your run is secure, you shouldn't need a pop door cover.

8. Titus2Woman

Sep 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:Even when we get SNOW (the "s" word... lol!)

9. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Why not get a starter now and then build a nicer one later? I would suggest you start keeping an eye on CraigsList for dog houses, sheds, and the like. You can use something that is mostly already done and then put a little bit of work into and be done and for a lot less cost! Check FreeCycle, too. We had a shed blown over a few weeks ago and I'm about to list it on Freecycle to get rid of it. It's in pieces, but I'm sure someone will want it. So..see? You may be surprised with what people get rid of. You could also post a listing on craigslist for a doghouse or little shed. Just because it's not there doesn't mean someone isn't thinking about getting rid of theirs. Check your Habitat ReStore, too! They have super cheap building supplies! They have windows (I got mine for my coop for $5!!) There are doors, wood panels, cabinets, hinges, door knobs, latches... you name it.

You could also make a hutch style coop. Check out this link: You can make something like this for around $50 even with all NEW materials!!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=7375038

10. gale65

Quote:Even when we get SNOW (the "s" word... lol!)

yep! As long as the air coming in the pop door doesn't blow directly on the chickens. A lot of people, even us poor souls who get the white stuff, leave their pop doors open all the time. I would if I thought our run was 100% secure but I'm not that confident. The amount of ventilation in our coop that will be open in winter is more square footage than the pop door.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by