Can't feed organic so...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AUFan, Mar 21, 2008.

1. AUFan

AUFan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2008
    what is the next best thing? Organic is too expensive for me as I can't find any local. I get my chicks in week after next(I ordered 26) any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!

2. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    The Sunfresh recipe from Purina is great. Its all vegetable, no animal proteins at all.
    Our feedstore orders it for me (no extra cost) and last week my bags didn't come in so we bought them regualar layer pellets. They laid 2 eggs in 3 days. Gave the Purina as soon as it arrived, got 13 eggs in 3 days. They love their food and lay really well on it.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Your regular chick starter/grower will work just fine from the feed store. If you got your chicks vaccinated for cocci, make sure you don't get a feed with amprolium in it as it will nullify the vaccine. You can choose to go vegetarian or not, either way works. I personally use a feed that contains animal protein as chickens are omnivores. But if they free range, they can get that from bugs outside.

Best of luck with your chicks!!!

4. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Yeah my chickens eat the Sunfresh recipe pellets but we buy them worms/crickets and then we suppliment their diet with shrimp [​IMG]

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

SHRIMP!!! NO fair! I don't even get shrimp! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Well we have quite a few pounds of it in the freezer from before my bf stopped eating seafood...so the chickens get it and LOVE it!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The advantage with the sunfresh is you can be assured no chicken meal goes into it. You can then choose how to supplement animal protein if you wish.

8. Brian

Brian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
    Quote:How so?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by