Can't Figure It Out, Anybody Help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flockanuts, Jan 8, 2014.

1. flockanuts

flockanuts Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought my roo's comb was frostbitten. A couple of the tips had turned black but that's what I'm reading from everyone on these threads.

I noticed he was bleeding quite a bit so I caught him and cleaned him up as best I could and put some antibiotic cream on his comb, his wattles, and his earlobes. Then he and the gals went outside.

When I went to close them up for the night, I noticed the roo's comb was still bleeding and seemed to be too much to me. I got some gauze pads and more antibiotic cream and went back to doctor him.

Well, it turns out that the tips of his comb are now back to red and did not fall off. He is bleeding from the edges of his comb where it connects to his head!!!! I again cleaned him up as best I could and put the cream on both edges but he didn't even move when I let him go. I pushed him underneath the heat lamp and he shivered one time real big like he was cold then just stood there with his head in the corner.

Now he has gone to lay in the nest where his girls lay their eggs and he's not moving. He is still breathing but that's it. Just not moving.

Is there ANYBODY that could give me some advice as to what to do to help him???? I feel so bad because I don't know what to do. First winter having chickens and am clueless.

2. hensintheHOUse

hensintheHOUse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
  3. flockanuts

He has been doing fine until today, even with the frostbitten tips. Sorry I can't post a pic, don't have a camera nor a cell phone. Plus, I have a pitbull and an Airedale dogs that will EAT him given 1/2 of a chance!!!!

4. attilathehen

attilathehen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2013
    I'm no expert, but perhaps bring him inside, and isolate him. Just to be sure the other birds aren't pecking at him when you aren't watching. I've made a nice little makeshift chicken container by getting an old storage bin, cutting some holes in the top, and putting bedding and food inside. Also, I doubt it is a contributing factor, but I've had birds singe feathers on a heat lamp that was too close. Is there any chance his wattle is getting burned?

5. flockanuts

Not unless he is constantly jumping. I have it half-way up the wall, good enough heat but out of the way.

6. hensintheHOUse

hensintheHOUse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    hmm.. Is there any places that your pitbull can't get into inside of your house, or garage to keep him warm?
    It is cold outside ... I am just worried about him may get freeze to death because of his wounds.

7. flockanuts

I think he will not freeze because he is staying under the heat lamp plus we're not as cold tonight as we were.

8. flockanuts

UPDATE: Rooster's comb still bleeding but not as much. Used flour this morning to put a pack on the comb to try to stop the bleeding. Not eating much and I can tell he doesn't feel good. Still staying under the heat lamp even though it is a lot warmer this morning than it has been. Around +30 degrees. Can anyone say 'HEAT WAVE'??? [​IMG]

9. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    I am familiar with this type of injury where the comb has torn away from head,this will bleed profusely,any head wound just pours blood b/c of the amount of blood vessels involved. If you cannot get the bleeding to stop,apply a dab of super glue to where it has torn away,this will form a barrier and stop bleeding(have used this on many an animal for bleeding that will not stop). Give him electrolytes,this will help to stabilize him. Encourage eating/drinking.

10. flockanuts

I plastered his comb real heavy with flour (from someone on another thread) and the bleeding finally stopped. About 1/3 of his whole comb seems to be affected. The next day, I put a heavy coating of EMT Gel (natural hydrolysate of collagen) Says it is veterinary tested wound care for large and small animals. It's what I had handy for my dogs so I thought I would give it a try. The next day (Friday) he was moving around and took a little bit of feed and water. Yesterday, he ate and drank normally and went outside with the girls. I knew he was feeling better because the first thing he did was jump one of the girls! LOL Today, he CROWED for the first time in a week!!!!! I think he's going to be ok but he sure scared the bejeesus out of me! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by