Can't figure it out.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by frugal farmer, Jun 12, 2016.

1. frugal farmer

frugal farmer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2014
    North central Indiana
    I have a hen that went broody, she has hatched 3 eggs but 2 of the 3 chicks have been dead under her when I go check them. Why is this happening?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

she could have killed them

3. frugal farmer

Sep 16, 2014
    North central Indiana
    Why would she do that? Sick chicks? Can't raise them all? It was the first one hatched and 3rd.

4. the poppster

the poppster Chillin' With My Peeps

Check the chicks closely...did the yoke get completely absorbed into the abdomen before they hatched? I found a couple of chicks dead under the hen with the latest hatch....they had part of the shell still with them...and when I examined them closer I found that the yoke hadn't finished absorbing before they hatched...the poor little things were still attached to the shell by the "umbilical" cord...or what ever you call it. I had another that must have pulled free of the shell, but in the process must have pulled a bit of intestines back out...needless to say it didn't make it...and I don't think there was any thing I could have done for it...other than do it in as quickly and humanely as possible....not an easy thing to have to do...but it goes along with the "Territory"

5. frugal farmer

Sep 16, 2014
    North central Indiana
    The first one had yolk attached still. Second was just dead (I think). I just want to make sure she isn't just killing them to kill them. We have had new sows that would freak out and do that. She is a gold laced wyendotte if that matters towards motherly instincts

6. the poppster

the poppster Chillin' With My Peeps

No they can all suffer a freak out...I've had a Cochin hen turn on her chicks...I put her up on a dark nest box and slipped the chicks under her at night. Gave her a good number of hours to get bonded to the chicks by sound.... and other than a quick check, to make sure they were ok, I left them alone for a few days. If all goes well she will accept the chicks...but if you have any doubt that the hen is truly aggressive to the chicks. Take them away from her.

7. frugal farmer

Sep 16, 2014
    North central Indiana
    Shes raising the one that is alive. It's been hatched since Thursday probably

8. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    This is likely not your issue and I am saddened to hear that some of the chicks did not make it but I know that some breeds like my Jersey Giants are so large they can accidentally crush their young. A mother hen can raise as many as a dozen little ones so that is not the problem. She may kill ones like that she feels have no chance of survival so she can devote more energy to raising the healthy ones better. Such things sound cruel to humans but that is Nature's way. These are just the observations of one guy who loves his chickens, I hope they were helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by