Can't figure out boys or girls!

jenjp1975

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 20, 2012
Hi! I am new to ducks and am having a time trying to figure out my duck's sex. I have 8. Two are about a month old and are Mallard girls. The other 6 I got randomly from the feed store. Two have turned out to be drake mallards but the other 4 I have no idea. They don't quack. They sound like all drakes but the other 4 don't seem to have drake feathers. Hoping for some insight here. Thx!

UPDATE: These are pics of my Pekin (1st image) and my crested (2nd image)..The crested seems to me to have a drake feather. The pekin Maybe???

Attachments

• IMG_2051.JPG
    IMG_2051.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3680.JPG
    IMG_3680.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I only hear the drakes voice, at least a few, but they're hardly making any sound.

Here is how girls chatter.

The two you said were male mallards, I think they are actually either silver Apple yards or Silver welsh Harlequins. I have one very similar and we are pretty sure it's a silver welsh harlequin.
IMG_0005.JPG
Hi! I am new to ducks and am having a time trying to figure out my duck's sex. I have 8. Two are about a month old and are Mallard girls. The other 6 I got randomly from the feed store. Two have turned out to be drake mallards but the other 4 I have no idea. They don't quack. They sound like all drakes but the other 4 don't seem to have drake feathers. Hoping for some insight here. Thx!

UPDATE: These are pics of my Pekin (1st image) and my crested (2nd image)..The crested seems to me to have a drake feather. The pekin Maybe???

Yep @DuckyDonna he was an Appleyard!

Your two green headed boys are silver appleyards 100%

i think i seen a little mallard in there with wikit bad angel wing by the way

Best thing to do is video tape yourself picking each one up indevidualy and walking away with itm That way it will call out to its friends and we can keep the sounds seperate

Both my mallards wings look like that. My neighbor had one she gave me (one of the black ones) that had it and it corrected itself. Should I tape them?

Back
Top Bottom