Can't figure out hen's breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickenpuff, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Chickenpuff

Chickenpuff New Egg

Jan 30, 2013
    [​IMG]

D
    oes anyone know what breed of chicken the brown hen in the picture is? (Sorry it's not a very good picture, it's the only one I got of her before she died.) I know the breeds of all the chickens we had at that time, but she didn't look like any of them, so I'm wondering if maybe there was a mix-up at the place we ordered the chicks from.

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    what color of eggs did she lay she looks alot like an ee my parents have and I also have a bantam ee who looks like her

3. Chickenpuff

Chickenpuff New Egg

Jan 30, 2013
    I'm not sure... but I know we had white eggs, light brown eggs, and green eggs, just don't know who layed what. I guess it's possible she was an Easter Egger, but the ones I looked at online had very different faces than her.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    From the comb I'd say she's an easter egger, or at least part. They can look like a lot of things, different colors, etc.

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    not all will be muffed and bearded

6. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    What color are her legs and feet? If they're greenish then she IS an Easter Egger, which she does look like one.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Not necessarily true. Lots of mixed birds can wind up with greenish colored legs, birds with no easter egger parentage. And some other breeds are bred to have green legs.

8. Jayzandra

Jayzandra Chillin' With My Peeps

Her comb looks EE, but my EEs have bluish white earlobes, your looks like she had red earlobes. [​IMG]?

9. Chickenpuff

Chickenpuff New Egg

Jan 30, 2013
    I seem to remember she had normal-colored legs, but I could be wrong. And yes I think she had red earlobes... it looks that way in the picture anyways.

10. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    maybe you can but her in a cage for a day and see what color egg she's laying? or follow her around/watch her if you can?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by