1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can't figure out if this is a spider bite or something else

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marguritehenry, Jul 28, 2011.

1. marguritehenry

marguritehenry New Egg

Jun 10, 2010
    lalaland
    This morning I noticed what I thought was a cut on the back side of my 5 mo. Old white leghorns neck.
    It is high up, right under her comb. I brought her in the house and cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide and
    Noticed that it is almost a perfect circle, pus-ey but not bloody. After the peroxide I put some comfry
    Salve on her and quarantined her in a crate

I took a picture, but I'm on my phone and don't know how to put it on here. I am going to put it on chicken chat on Facebook also and I do know how to upload the photo there. Thanks!!!

2. sonally

sonally Out Of The Brooder

A crazy idea from a newbie: ringworm? Can chickens get a fungal infection? [​IMG]

3. marguritehenry

marguritehenry New Egg

Jun 10, 2010
    lalaland
    Thanks Sonally,

Actually after posting it on my personal facebook page with a pic and talking to some friends I do think it was definitely a brown recluse bite. I have been treating her by cleaning the wound with hydrogen peroxide and then applying a pack of Bentonite clay.

She seems to be doing well and actually laid her first egg this morning! I think it's because I kept her inside last night and it's cooler in the house.

4. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I wonder what the treatment is for recluse bites in chickens? A few years back both my dog and my now xhusband were bitten. The dog was put on antibiotics and prednisone for two weeks. My husband was put on antibiotics for a month with prednisone for two weeks. Being so close to the chickens brain, I can't believe that it hasn't caused more damage. My xhusband's cartilage in his knee was 'eaten away' by the venom...

Keep a close eye on your hen...that stuff can be fatal

5. marguritehenry

marguritehenry New Egg

Jun 10, 2010
    lalaland
    oh I also neglected to let y'all know that I am giving her oral tetracycline too, so she is getting antibiotics.

I was shocked that it didn't just immediately kill her since recluse bites can be fatal for people it's a miracle she has survived.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by