Can't figure out what she is!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hennypenny9, Nov 1, 2008.

1. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Chillin' With My Peeps

This was a lovely lady who was sadly attacked and killed by a dog recently. I was thinking to maybe get some more like her. She was small and hardly ever clucked loudly, and laid light green eggs.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the bad picture, but it's all I could find. Notice how small she is compared to the RIR and BR next to her.

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm guessing an Ameraucana or and EE. It's really hard to tell which, because the picture is so small. Sorry you lost her. [​IMG]

3. hennypenny9

Gumpsgirl- After more research I agree that she was probably an EE. It makes me sad because they come in such variety that I doubt I would be able to find as beautiful golden color as she was. [​IMG] But everyone seems to agree that they have a decent temperament, so that's a plus.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Looks like an EE to me !! Sorry for your loss !! I have a chicken killer dog so I know how you feel !! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I hope you can find another one. [​IMG]

6. hennypenny9

Thanks you guys. I now live in suburbia, and would hope to find a quiet (relatively speaking) hen. "Pretty" as we called her, was quiet, but held her own with our pushy RIRs.

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    The EE's are known to be very sweet birds !! I have a few young ones and they seem more docile than my BR's.... I noticed your user name, how sweet !! after her I imagine ?

8. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Good luck finding another EE, so sorry you lost her!

Actually the gold colored EEs are all I seem able to find/get. I can't find ones with blue, white or a lot of black in them. I have 2 and the 2 I ordered from Ideal came almost exactly the same color as what I had, so I sold them. I love EEs though, they are one of my favorites. They also come in a bantam size, but I haven't been able to get any of those yet.

These are my 2, they came from McMurray hatchery. They seem to look a little like your girl.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  9. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    it looks alot like my ee. i have one of her eggs in my bator right now should hatch the 21st. she is one of the nicest hens i have that is true. sorry hopefully you can find a new one.

10. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    My hen looks just like yours. She is an EE from Ideal Poultry. She lays a light blue egg.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by