1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can't figure out what wrong

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by okiemamachick, Feb 23, 2015.

1. okiemamachick

okiemamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Ok so I picked up some chick's from tsc on Thursday all were well till Saturday and I noticed one was breathing rapidly and not as active as the others. She had a put of poo stuck to her bum so I soaked that off added acv to the water and also made added mash of plain cultured yogurt with chick starter mixed in. She immediately pooped and ate so in thought " that must of been it. But now she ins smaller than the others noticeably so. And still rapid breathing I checked her bun/vent and there were no obstructions. What could this be? Herr are pics for reference you see the others are happy running around eating etc but she just sits there breathing heavy and fast. She will run if startled but that's about it. She's in the middle in this pic
    [​IMG]

this is her. Her wings even seem to be hanging low

[​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Is there a place she can get out of the heat from the heat lamp? The rapid breathing makes me think she's possibly overheating.

3. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Heat could be it but it could also be a failure to thrive issue. We had one that we hatched, it was always smaller than the others, and the others grew much faster. It just didn't seem like it processed food appropriately and it died at about a week old. It could be something else but sometimes they just don't make it despite our best efforts. [​IMG]

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    She has somehow gotten off to a poor start, and probably it happened before you got her. The weather has been awfully hard on shipments of baby chicks these past several weeks, and feed stores get chicks in this way as well as individuals. A chick in a box of shipped chicks that is pushed to the outer edges isn't going to keep as warm as those in the center, chilling them. The effects usually aren't apparent right away.

Or she could have a weak constitution. She's small because she's not eating as much as the others. All you can do is keep trying to get food into her and keep her with the others so she will take the cue from them to eat. If she's going to make it, she should begin to show signs of more energy and activity soon.

I am keeping my fingers crossed she makes it!

5. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I wondered if she got chilled. This may sound harsh but if she's going to be on the sickly side despite having the best of everything I wish she'd just go quietly. I've not had them long enough to get attached and there is only so much you can do for a little chick :(

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If you haven't bonded with the little one, you have the option of returning it to the feed store for a replacement, which they will gladly do.

7. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I jist realized how callus my post sounded it's just I'm working towards my ideal flock and a sickly chicken isn't what I was hoping on....I know ailments come and go ice dealt with I'll chickens veg or I just hope this one isn't always kinda puny and sickly. I thought for sure she'd be gone by this a.m. but she's still there breathing heavy and being tiny... I asked tsc what their return/replacement policy is and she said we dont do either (this was as I was checking out.) So I suppose that's not an option. ..

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    3 suggestions: Get some Poultry nutridrench into her. It's a wonderful product, and I won't brood chicks without having a bottle on hand. Also, you might buzz your starter crumble through the blender, then make some into a slightly soupy oatmeal consistency, and offer that to all of them. She may not be thriving b/c she's too small to eat the crumble. I've had chicks that needed the crumble buzzed. You also might want to give them some mashed up scrambled egg. The fact that she's still hanging in there means that she's a fighter. With extra nutrition, she may pull through, and end up being a star performer. Kind of like the 6' tall basket ball player, who spent his first few months as a preemie in NICU on life support. It ain't over till the pleasantly plump lady sings.

9. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I mixed some crumble with yogurt she's eating that. She wouldn't touch the scrambled egg day befor yesterday. I will get the drench today. If I can't find chicken will goat do? How should I administer?

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Yes. Place a drop to the side of her beak. She should suck it in. I don't ever place anything directly in my chicks mouth as I fear aspiration. You can also mix some up in the water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by