Can't figure These Out! *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Orphy, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Orphy

Orphy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    I got a shipment of Dec. Surprize from Ideal, I am able to figure most of them out, but these two are giving me some trouble! I looked at the feather sit to try and see if I could tell what they are, but no luck.

So I figured I would give you guys a try! I can try to get better pics if you need to see feathering better. These were hatched Dec 19-ish.

#1 Single comb
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    #2 Pea comb, I think
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    The first one *could* be a RIR. The second one is an EE, and I think a cockerel.

3. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    The banding on the feathers in not something you will see on a RIR, I would say more likely something like a Single Comb Brown Leghorn? Don't hold me to it. the second one, with the willow colored legs, I would guess an EE and I wouldn't even venture a guess to gender yet, way too young to tell.

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Sometimes RIR will have the pattern when they're little. I hatched out some chicks from hatchery reds, and a few were like that. It goes away. I agree with the second- Ideal likes to use EE roos as packing peanuts.

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    That looks a lot like my hatchery RIR when she was the same age. She is now about 14 weeks and the banding has disappeared.

6. Orphy

Oct 30, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    I thought the first was RIR at first, but the banding did throw me off. the second one doesn't have the muffs though to be EE. The pic might not have been that clear.

7. Orphy

Oct 30, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    oh, and I ordered all pullets. no roo's, unless they made a mistake on one, lol.

8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:That was my second guess. I decided on RIR since the feathers look too red to be a BL. It could very well be a Leghorn. [​IMG]

9. Orphy

Oct 30, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    [​IMG]

10. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    That's definately an EE. It will probably get a beard later on- but the green legs and pattern are a sure sign.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by