1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can't figure this one out

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RPClark, Nov 2, 2016.

1. RPClark

RPClark Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2016
    Southwest Iowa
    Here's the bird we call "Feather Foot." When we got our chicks this summer from a large hatchery and they sent a "bonus chick" that they said was an "exotic." Straight run. Feathered feet, hence the catchy name. We ordered a selection of brown egg layers, and I think the selection was generally larger breeds. Feather Foot is 17 weeks old, is noticeably larger than the other 14 birds, and is somewhat bossy/dominant. So, what breed is Feather Foot and is this pullet or cockerel?

Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG]

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Perhaps a Dark Brahma cockerel? [​IMG]

~Alex

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Yep, Dark Brahma cockerel. They're not the most attractive pattern when they're juveniles, but when he's mature he's going to be stunning.

4. RPClark

RPClark Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2016
    Southwest Iowa
    Yeah, Feather Foot was one ugly bird compared to the others, but looks better and better as the plumage has filled out. I noticed the iridescent sheen beginning to show this evening; you can just see it in my poor picture.

I've also heard some strange squawking from time to time this past week. Not that I've ever heard a pubescent cockerel before, but that's what I imagine one would sound like. The only bird in the area where the sound came from was Feather Foot.

I didn't really want any cockerels; we only wanted layers. We live rural, so at least we don't have neighbors who will be bothered by noise.

5. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sure there are exceptions, but I've heard very little but nice things about Brahma roos. [​IMG] I personally think there's a very good chance he'll turn out to be a wonderful addition to your flock.

~Alex

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    dark brahma roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by