Can't Find 24% Starter Feed - OK to Mix 20% and 30%?

DrSolarMOTA

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2021
Later this month I'm going to receive my second batch of 35 day-old Cornish Crosses. I raised a flock last year and it worked out well, so I'm going to have another go at it.

As I'm preparing for everything, I see that Tractor Supply has stopped carrying the 24% starter feed that I used last year. (Well, they still sell it, but only in 10# bags at $10 each. Last year, the 50# bags were less than $20 each.)

I see that they do carry 30% feed for turkey and game fowl. I was wondering if it would be possible to mix the 30% in a 1:1 ratio with 20% starter to achieve a ~25% starter mix.

Has anyone else done this before, and do you think that it's OK? Thanks!

FYI, while there are options other than TSC to purchase poultry feed, I've yet to find one that carries 24% protein.

-Greg

Later this month I'm going to receive my second batch of 35 day-old Cornish Crosses. I raised a flock last year and it worked out well, so I'm going to have another go at it.

As I'm preparing for everything, I see that Tractor Supply has stopped carrying the 24% starter feed that I used last year. (Well, they still sell it, but only in 10# bags at $10 each. Last year, the 50# bags were less than $20 each.)

I see that they do carry 30% feed for turkey and game fowl. I was wondering if it would be possible to mix the 30% in a 1:1 ratio with 20% starter to achieve a ~25% starter mix.

FYI, while there are options other than TSC to purchase poultry feed, I've yet to find one that carries 24% protein.

-Greg
I think it will be fine.

-Greg
:welcome :frow It appears the 50# bags are no longer available. There are somethings I have had to order online. Years ago I raised Pheasants. Not sure if it will work for meat birds birds. When I was unable to get the higher protein feed for my breeders, I used the game bird. I called the company and they actually suggested it. Good luck and have fun...
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...key-starter-30-40-lb-3005640-305?cm_vc=-10005

Why not straight 30%? is at that age that they use as much protein as possible
For the first few weeks, yes. But even with the blend they get huge fast. I switched to the blend at 4 weeks when I saw their weight was probably going to surpass their age. Most of them were gaining a pound per week.

Back
Top Bottom