Can't find a treat

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickmama320, Jun 16, 2011.

1. chickmama320

chickmama320 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Back Swamp NC
    I can not find a treat that my little ones like! I have tried strawberries, plain yogurt, bread, and scrambled eggs/breadcrumbs (the left overs from making breaded pork chops tonight). Although I shouldn't say that I can't find ANYTHING that they are excited about. I have caught them 2 grasshoppers and they went CRAZY chasing each other over those. Just wish I could find something else that they like. I'm gonna cut up my cantalope in the morning and give them the rind and see if they like that. My old girls always loved the melon rinds and tomatos.

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    How old are they? Mine went for the living treats a couple of weeks before they decided they liked anything else.

3. chickmama320

Mar 3, 2009
    Back Swamp NC
    They are almost 2 weeks lol
    Speaking of which.... I need to go wrangle them up and bring them back inside... starting to get a little chilly out here.

4. Kbagwell1

Kbagwell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    Mine LOOOVE Oats!!!

5. chickmama320

Mar 3, 2009
    Back Swamp NC
    Oats? Like Oatmeal?

So I just went out the the coop to get them put in their little cat carrier (I'm soooo happy it is warm/hot during the day here because I don't have anything big to put them in in the house). Well 3 of the five were already bedding down for the night. The rooster and the last of the girls that was out took a few bites of the egg/breadcrumbs, did their business and then bedded down with their sisters. It was cute.... and good to see them eating their treat. Maybe I'm just expecting them to eat a lot more, but they are still so little.

6. Kbagwell1

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    Like the plain oats in the tall round container...they are like 3 bucks...Quaker Oats I believe!

7. chickmama320

Mar 3, 2009
    Back Swamp NC
    Quote:Do you cook them?

8. ILuvMyPetChickens

ILuvMyPetChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2011
    Leavittsburg, Ohio
    Mine love bread and recently ate lemons. I fed them Fritos yesterday they loved that! I give them Popcorn.

9. Kbagwell1

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    Quote:I'd be careful with lemons....they say citrus isn't good for chickens...

10. Kbagwell1

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    Quote:Do you cook them?

No, just straight out of the container...I sprinkle them on the paper towels/pine shavings (whichever I'm using at the moment) and they learn to scratch to find food...

I've also mixed their crumble in with plain yogurt....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by