1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can't find an answer for this..(pics added)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AccidentalFarm, Apr 19, 2007.

1. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    I have looked and looked and cannot come up with any info. I'm wondering about my little RIR roo. Or pullet. I've thought he was a he up until several days ago when I noticed the combs on the leghorns he is living with. Two of the leghorns have a very large, pink, fat comb while the 3rd leghorn's comb is not as developed. The RIR's comb, though is about a quarter the size of the leghorns. They are all 4 weeks old. I was so sure the RIR was a roo.... Can it be that RIR's just don't develope as quickly as Leghorns? Call me crazy, but I was so hoping he'd be a roo.

Alright, here are the pics:
    This one's a definite roo:
    [​IMG]
    This one, too:
    [​IMG]
    This one's under suspicion:
    [​IMG]
    and here's the RIR I wanted to be a roo:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you think? RIR=roo or pullet?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    At 4 wks old, if his comb has any pink or redness to it, it's a boy. I'm sure we could tell with pics tho.

Jody

3. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    what about cochins? does that rule apply to the roos too?

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I'd say that rule applies to the majority, if not all of straight combed birds.

Jody

5. AccidentalFarm

Mar 29, 2007
    Well darn it! My little RIR roo's comb does not have any pink yet. Guess he's a she after all. [​IMG] How 'bout that..I'm one of the few that get a pullet by mistake out of an all roo order. Go figure!

6. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    OH! OH!! if you're looking for a rir roo, i have one that's about 4 weeks old! his name is tap tap. my son picked him out of the box at the feed store. told him to pick a pullet but turns out he picked a roo. my feed store orders from ideal. let me know if you're interested. i'll give him up for $3. [​IMG]

7. AccidentalFarm

Mar 29, 2007
    Not necessarily looking for a roo- I was just hoping this RIR would be one. I have 3 other leghorn roo's and a polish roo- so, I'm already up to my eyeballs in 'em!

8. beckt

beckt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    At only 4 weeks old, I would not rule out roo just yet.

9. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I personally think it is a roo. The comb may not be pink or red, but the comb growth at four weeks is alot in my opinion for it to be a girl.

10. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

I may be wrong, but l think your chicks look to be all roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by