Can't find any decently priced eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Hatching Eggs' started by Cingratz, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Cingratz

Cingratz Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2016
    Guelph,Ontario
    i have been looking in Canada for some good priced fertile eggs. Breed isn't that big of a deal. Any suggestions? I live in Ontario, but I know I can eggs from all over Canada.... I only want between 6-10 eggs. I would keep them mainly as a source of amusement but having eggs from them would great....

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Looking locally is the best starting point when you aren't overly picky about breed, etc. Are there local buy/sell/trade or pet/livestock Facebook groups around you? Have you tried Craigslist? Have you put the word or at the local farm supply store?

3. Cingratz

Cingratz Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2016
    Guelph,Ontario
    I have looked all over the area. There are a number of ads on Kijiji but not many replies.

4. n3ttst3r

n3ttst3r Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2017
    Iowa
    Random but try calling the university they may have the names of some farms or be able to give your name to them, check the website and see what the head of the ag vet programs contact info is (should have an email of some kind) they may know some farmers who use the university for vet care that they can give your info to/give you the info of.

5. dayth

dayth New Egg

Apr 15, 2016
    Woodside, CA
    Look for "fertilized eggs" from a fancier (hippie'er?) grocery store and buy the freshest ones possible. The hatching rate will be lower due to refrigeration (and likely age) but I've met multiple hens here in California hatched from Trader Joe's fertilized eggs (Leghorns, ~$4/dozen). Best option are local, fresh eggs, tho, picked up directly from a breeder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by