Can't find any livestock ordinances in Quincy, MA

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by feckless_son, Sep 3, 2009.

1. feckless_son

feckless_son Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2009
    Too close to Boston
    I've scoured the zoning and all ordinances published by Quincy, MA.
    All I can find are rules concerning nuisance dogs and their waste.
    Am I in the clear with a few pullets/hens?

I'm getting nervous as they approach the transfer to coop life.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Walk up to a cop you dont know an ask. If he says there illegal walk away, no harm nor fowl. [​IMG]

3. MoTownChickie

MoTownChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2009
    Modesto, California
    I'd call the health department to verify.

I found this info in a table form at http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/codes/quincy/
    but
    I'm not clear if you can or can't have poultry:

The keeping of horses, cows, goats or other similar animals other than pigs, or the keeping of poultry, pigeons, rabbits, or other similar birds or animals; provided, that no stable or enclosure for any animal may be less than one hundred feet from any existing residence building or other premises in any district, and provided, that no stable or enclosure for more than four animals may be less than one hundred feet from any premises occupied by a religious or charitable institution, school, play-ground, library or public building, except where that distance is intersected by a street at least sixty feet wide; and further provided, that no stable or enclosure may be less than one hundred feet from a street, nor contain more than twenty-five animals on the premises, and subject to such restrictions as to number, and as to location and size of special structures as may be imposed by the Quincy health department.

4. MoTownChickie

MoTownChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2009
    Modesto, California
    Section 17.16.020 Table of use regulations.

Upon further review, it looks like you can only have poultry at a business with special permit and it is prohibited at a residence

5. RoccoM

RoccoM New Egg

Jun 22, 2012
    Feckless_son,

Hi there. I too live in Quincy MA, I have 4 chickens to be transferred out in to the coop next week. I am wondering how it went with your chicken experience in Quincy. I looked in to this before I decided to go ahead with the project and came up with nothing. I am now getting nervous after a neighbor started asking me about the coop. She also has 1 chicken but I think she keeps it inside the house! She told me that I have to have a permit? I can't find this information anywhere.

6. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    Go to your next city council meeting and propose Backyard Chicken ordinances-- alot of these codes need to be updated and that is how you do it-- There must be some closet chicken lovers/ keepers in Quincy -- try to form a Coalition-- and even who arent-- will like that there will be RULES around chicken keeping since it probably exists anyway....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by