Can't Find Anywhere to Buy Egg SETTERS?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Griffin Nest, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    Hi BYC Forum [​IMG]

I'm having trouble! I've read up on and know about "setting" eggs before incubation. To my knowledge, chicken eggs are viable up to 5-7 days if they are set in a proper enviornment. This includes having relatively high humidity, keeping the eggs fat end up, and having the setting temperature around 60 degrees F.

I have a hot, dry house and I am unable to set eggs in this condition, so I looked online too see if people sell setters. I already have 2 incubators, a hatcher, but nothing to set the eggs with with proper conditions :(

Does anyone know of a place I can buy a cheap one? At least under $100? I've seen some but they go for over $1,000 and are huge! I only have 2 birds [​IMG]

Or does anyone know how I can make one? I've tried a cooler with ice before, but it dropped to 40 degrees and didn't stay. The ice all melted within hours. How can I make one that can keep a steady 55-65 degrees?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A wine cooler would work.

3. Griffin Nest

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    how much will a small one cost?

4. crazyhatch

crazyhatch Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    When its hot out we put ours in old fridge set at 40 degrees. Take out day before set to warm up and have no problems

5. Griffin Nest

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    The fridge will work? I heard that its too cold. What kind of hatch rates do you have?

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The fridge will work especially if you set it higher as crazy said. The issue with refrigerators is they remove humidity, which is needed for egg storage.

A good wine cooler should keep the humidity up.

Another option with a refrigerator is to wrap the egg in plastic. That will also help prevent condensation when the egg is warmed pre-incubation.

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

A wine cooler will work but you said you have several incubators already well that is
    all that I use and it is close to 30 yrs old and it works just fine as I do not put the egg's
    in a turner just an egg carton with the bottoms cut out for air to flow around the egg's
    and I set the temp between 60 and 65 till I get all the egg's I can gather in that time
    frame of 5 to 7 days and I haven't much problems and I use it for chicken, duck
    geese and it works the humidity is by just adding water but that is why I don't through
    thing's out really any old ice cooler will work and I have used an old refrigerator to
    store my egg's as it was not good fore keeping milk cold but it will keep my temps
    under 70 degreases in the summer till I am ready to incubate ............

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't know if a wine cooler would work, as I've never seen/used one, but I do know my local Craigslist has them for sale all the time for under $50. You might look there.

9. Griffin Nest

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    thanks for the help :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by