can't find books at library

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by popcornpuppy, Sep 15, 2009.

1. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    My local library is sooo small. Our town has a population of 2000 people, and not that many folks use our local library. Most of the time the library has to order books from a neighboring library to fill requests of the few readers that go there.
    So, I ordered 3 books on chickens.
    Raising chicknes for dummies, The APA book of standards, and an encyclopedia of chicken breeds.

Raising Chickens and the APA standards are on hold for other people that requested them before I did. So it will be weeks before I get to read them. [​IMG]

I am glad though, because it means that more folks in my area have backyard chickens and want to learn about them. I just wish I knew where they all are, because until now, I thought we were the only folks around here that had chickens. [​IMG]
    Is anyone else having a hard time finding books on the topic of chickens?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It isn't just chicken books. It is canning books, gardening books and general self sufficiency books. I waited 2 months to get Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. 2 weeks to get Putting Food By and a month to get The Joy of Pickling.

Recipe books are also in demand as more people try to save money by not eating out. Also, since the Julie and Julia movie came out, old cookbooks are being rediscovered. Out of curiosity, I looked up the waiting list for Mastering the Art of French Cooking. It was 65 people deep [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  3. popcornpuppy

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    I never had a problem finding cook books and such. I live next to Old Sturbridge Village and they have all kinds of great books in the gift shop. They reported a record breaking year so far, and I can see it by the number of folks in the gift shop.
    I guess alot of folks are wanting to learn from the old colonial days and become more self sufficient. It's funny to note that Old Sturbridge Village has more sheep, goats, ox etc. and not that many chickens!

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You can always buy those books, but the waiting list is growing to get them from libraries.

I also scour garage sales for books. I got a book on preparing wild game last week for 50ยข [​IMG]

5. popcornpuppy

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    I do prefer to buy books most of the time because I like to reference them over and over.
    Raising Chickens is so new though, I think I would have a hard time finding a used copy. So, if I can't get it from the library I may have to buy it.
    Wifezilla, you gave me a good idea. We don't have alot of yard sales around here, but we do have flea markets. I may need to check them out. [​IMG]

6. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Our little library will borrow books from other larger libraries--it takes a couple of weeks to get them but they usually come through for me. Maybe you could ask your library if they can do the same?

7. popcornpuppy

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    Quote:[​IMG]
    it sounds like dejavou
    please re-read the original post, I stated that fact already.
    I hope it was clear, but I do appologize if it wasn't.

8. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

There are also some great used book sites out there too. I use Amazon.com and then scroll down through the new copies and you come to the used ones. I have gotten some great books for 2 or 3 dollars plus a couple for shipping. If you dont mind dog-earred pages its a great option.

9. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    We always have to do Inter-labrary loan too. For almost everything except the most common things. I know it is a pain, but I am just thankful we are able to do it. For several years they cut back funding and the library could only do a certain number of books each month, it was very limited. So I just look at it as a great oppertunity, to have virtually every book published available to me! [​IMG] I love it!

10. kagedgoddess

kagedgoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    virginia
    i get books from amazon now... i do resent getting charged $3.99 for shipping and the book arriving and the postage saying a dollar something ... so i limit myself, i have to find it for AT Least 1/2 the orginal cost including shipping... but i dont buy From amazon i buy from the independant sellers. there stuff arrives like in two days, amazons takes weeks. in fact i ordered a book on valentines day, they said two weeks, well guess what... it Still aint here! i Really wanted that book too. also there is wonder book and video. its a book shop in my hometown, but i believe they sell online now too.
    good luck on your search!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by