Can't find my babies...

Jcothren

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2018
Hi all really new at the whole baby ducks hatching on her own thing so I'm here for some much-needed advice. I have three chickens and three ducks, one drake and 2 females-all Pekins who had a clutch of 11 eggs and one of the females has been sitting on them for about a month. Two days ago I noticed one of the chickens coming out of our coop with something in its mouth my mother instincts instantly kicked in and I raced down the porch and across the yard but wasn't in time to save the new baby duckling. Since then we have separated the chickens from the ducks and I am anxiously waiting the rest of my baby ducklings. However some of the eggs are missing and even though I can hear the babies every now and again I cannot find them. Anyone who has dealt with broody mom know what's going on? I'm very worried that i have somehow managed to lose them...

Are you still hearing peeping?any way they could be under your floor of your coop or barn or where ever she was brooding.
I sat with them in the ciop for 2.5 hours yesterday and I'm pretty sure i heard them peeping, once i let them out i searched the entire coop and couldn't find any sign, and the clutch started of with 11 eggs and now there's only 5 eggs. But there's no sign of broken shells or blood or anything. If they're dead i should be at least finding bodies, right?

Back
Top Bottom