Can't find Non-Medicated Game bird starter... Help

Discussion in 'Quail' started by swheat, Jul 26, 2011.

1. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I was looking for gamebird starter for quail(hopefully some of my eggs hatch). The one I found were medicated and I thought I read not to use the medicated for quail, it that right ?
    So what are some other options..I noticed that the (medicated))gamebird starter was only 26%, my chick starter is 23%..and thing I could do to bump up the protein ? A different feed store didn't have any gamebird but recommended Turkey starter, but is was also Medicated...I didn't check the protein % of it though.

Any advice here is welcomed and appreciated,
    Steve

2. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    In some areas non-medicated is not available, and sometimes game bird feed isn't even available. I can't find anything but medicated so I do with what I can get. I won't feed it to my pair of buttons though, I give them a breeder with a hard boiled egg every other day.

3. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
  4. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    You can get that from Tractor Supply. I've been thinking about switching my buttons on it because there's only two. [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Tractor supply co. has a starter feed that is 24% protein and shouldn't be medicated. If you can't find non-medicated, medicated is fine. I feed mine medicated and don't have any issues. The biggest issue that I've heard of is with fertility, supposedly the medicated feed causes infertility. I've not had any fertility issues and all I can get is non-medicated. In the 'off-season' I feed them a 16% chicken layer feed that is not medicated but they get either medicated chick starter or medicated gamebird starter during the laying season.

6. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Thanks for the link...I have 2 more feed stores to check(one is the TS), but I maybe ordering that from Manna Pro if Tractor Supply doesn't have it. Could I use non-medicated chick starter and add egg to the mix(fresh of course).

thanks again

ETA- thanks Shelly..I may not have any choice but to feed them the medicated, I think I can find the 23-24% chicks starter.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  7. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Quote:i'd check with TS, if they don't have it...they can probably order it for you (and at roughly 20 bucks for 50lbs, its much better then 7 bucks for 5lbs)

8. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Yes, $20 for 50 lbs is better ! If they don't have it I will be sure to ask and see if they will order some for me.

9. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    see if they can get Purina GBS 30% non-medicated, thats probably the best one, if they can't get purina products, then manna pro is next best, just make sure w/e it is has 24%+ and non-medicated

10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    You'll Find Tsc Rather Useless For Gamebird Feeds... In Almost All Areas They Simply Dont Stock And Wont Order It. Both Purina's And Nutrenas Websites Have Dealor Locator Options Built In.. Try Them And See If There's A Feed Store In Your Area That Carries It, Or May Be Willing To Order It If Its Available At All

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by