1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can't find this on any poo chart I've looked at.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flynn, Feb 2, 2015.

1. flynn

flynn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2012
    Juliette Georgia
    Has anyone experienced this (see photo)? I was especially hoping Dawg 53 would chime in too.[​IMG] cause I follow his advice on most things I read up on but would like to see what everyone else thinks too, if they have an opinion or knowledge that will help.
    This Lil pullet was hatched back in late July or early August. She had a twin who died and I managed to bring her in the house to work on her and keep her out of the weather and observe her poo. She's been in the house about 2 months now. She's been treated for cocci w/Toltrazural
    been treated for worms in the proper fashion with Ivermectin, Fenbendazole, and Copper sulfate tonic w/ACV.
    I got her to eat again by feeding her meal worms then she got back on her grain. She is fed Start and Grow 20% and small doses of scratch and birdseed.
    Her posture and feathers have improved though her feathers still appear mussed but she doesn't appear so fluffed up like she had been.
    This cocoon plug you see in the poo photo comes out every morning. This morning it came out in 2 parts but I think you can see it looks like a plug and got broke apart in the poo this morning. After this she seems to have normal poo the rest of the day.
    Anyone knowing what I'm dealing with, would be a great asset to me. I've grown quite fond of lil Sugar (as she's called now) and I would like to see her improve and be in a preventative mode on the rest of my 50 or so chickens. In fact, I am suspecting my 2 young lavender flocks of coming down with the same symptoms though I haven't seen any cocoons as yet in their poo.
    Sincere thanks in advance,

This was the first one this a.m. I didn't notice the blood until I got the photo and it didn't look like the normal shape and half sized.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A foot or 2 away was what looked like normal poo but the other half was in this one on the bottom when I picked it up.
    [​IMG]
    The blood was on the paper so I decided it was time to post. Usually, it is a plug by itself w/little to no poop and lots of urates. This one is unusual in that it is surrounded with poo and blood and it is in 2 parts. That is a solid plug of some sort.
    [​IMG]
    This is her as I said always mussed looking but not so bad as before.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. flynn

flynn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2012
    Juliette Georgia
    Sorry for the yucky graphic pictures. I found another one when I went to clean up their poop board this morning. It's hard to see but I turned it over too and got a better shot from the back. This is morning poo. If it had been during the night it would be more dried up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Take the non poo looking stuff and slice it open, take picture and post. Also take a sniff and let us know what it smells like.

-Kathy

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can't say for sure until you post pictures of the plug sliced open, but it looks like it could be infection fron her intestines (just went though this with one of mine). It also looks a little like "lash egg", but I don't think that's it.

-Kathy

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    When you treated with fenbendazole, how much did you give and how many days did you give it?

-Kathy

6. flynn

flynn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2012
    Juliette Georgia
    I gave it like Dawg 53 said do on many of his posts. A pea-sized dose, I think it's 7 or 10 days apart. 2 times a month apart. Then I did the Ivermectin horse paste internally and on her feet between her shoulders and @ the vent about 2 weeks after the 2nd fenbdn dose. I did the copper sulfate between times once a month for 7 days. I've done the MG preventative mash recently. Today plain water and back on the ferments.
    I really didn't want to mess with cutting it open but I reckon I can dig it out of the trash. Her poos are all normal now after the plug is poo'd out. String of horse poo type w/the white cap. She eats but her crop never seems full and her water intake isn't out of the ordinary. I'll fish through the trash for the plug and get a shot of the dissection. As to the smell sometimes her poo is high urate smelling lots of water but these plugs when I broke them open had no smell to mention, nothing I could detect and I have acute sense of smell and diagnose lots of problems w/my nose.
    Thanks so much to everyone for trying to help.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  7. flynn

flynn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2012
    Juliette Georgia
    I will have to check in the morning and dissect that one. I forgot I threw it into the fireplace and burned it.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It is "lash." Why did you use copper sulfate?

9. flynn

flynn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2012
    Juliette Georgia
    I reckon I need to look that up, I don't know what it is. Seems since I penned up my babies I have all kinds of problems. I'm not losing them to coyotes and hawks but MG, Cocci, Mycosis all kinds of crap including Trichinosis(? it's like cocci microorganism) I can't win. Now I have an Oct 15 hatch of Lav Ameraucana and Lav Orpingtons and it looks like everything else but I suspect they may be coming down with what this lil gal has. These were the nicest bird I ever bought in every way. I suspect everything anymore.

10. flynn

flynn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2012
    Juliette Georgia
    Dawg is she dying with this? Is it because she was so sick? The worms that came out of this lil gal was unbelievable. She hasn't ever laid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by