Can't get a permit to build coop - building any ways

MSP

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 1, 2008
Mississippi
Nice way to start on this forum! I have been lurking for weeks and reading as much as possible. I am ready to build my Coop, I already have Ducks so never in a million years thought I would have a zoning issue.

My chicks are due in mid June and now I find out my property has been zoned residential and yes you guessed it poultry is not allowed. Our covenants (good for 100 years) has no restrictions on poultry.

Did any one else have trouble with zoning or getting a permit when building the coop?

Should I build smaller than I was planing? I was planning on a 7'x8' shed in my fenced in back yard. I live very rural on 3 acres and have a total of 12 animals now with 10 chicks on the way. I have a small duck house (3'x6') with run and a large 24'x48' barn for my horses.

I am just in shock that some one behind a desk has decided I can't keep chickens. Developers have their sites on our area and I am afraid they don't care about those of us that live here.

I am considering just building and dealing with what ever is the consequences. Any advice is welcome; like would it matter if the coop was portable or smaller.

Build small and cute and don't get any roosters (or more than one, anyway)

I am living under the 'don't ask permission, beg forgiveness' mode myself...

Quote:
Build it to look old and claim youve raised them on the land for many years, and you should be grandfather claused into being allowed to keep poultry.

Or build a tractor. They are low to the ground . Or get a permit to build a storage shed. they don't need to know thats where your storing your chickens.

Quote:
Build it to look old and claim youve raised them on the land for many years, and you should be grandfather claused into being allowed to keep poultry.

LOL. I like this one.

Without a permit, they will come and tell you to tear it down.
Get a permit for a "garden shed" not a "chicken coop" and then the "building" will be legal and untouchable.
What you keep in your garden shed is up to you.

I already have Ducks so never in a million years thought I would have a zoning issue....

my property has been zoned residential and yes you guessed it poultry is not allowed. Our covenants (good for 100 years) has no restrictions on poultry. ...

I am just in shock that some one behind a desk has decided I can't keep chickens. Developers have their sites on our area and I am afraid they don't care about those of us that live here.

Well, you are already one step from violation with the ducks. Beaurocrats behind desks dont often differentiate between the two very well. Covenants mean doodly against the greater municipal ruling.

Get used to the idea that others dont care about you. I know that is harsh, but it's reality. As a former Realtor, and I can guarantee developers care no more than they must to please the desk jockeys at city hall. Big money is at work, here.

Since you're prepared to thumb your nose at the "chicken nazis" and take your chances, I suggest you create a tractor that doesn't look like a chicken coop. Use alternative materals and not common building stuff. Find an old camper or something like that. But dont make it look like something you built. You gotta go low-key here. The chickens wont care and youll be pulling a fast one on city hall.

Be in good standing with your neighbors, who WILL turn you in if things go sour between you

Lastly, dont have roosters - for obvious reasons.

I predict that in near future, chickens along with other self-sufficient support will come into greater fashion among urbanites. It happened during the Depression - it's liable to again. In the meantime, you gotta pick your battles.​

Here in Canada when we can't get a permit we build our sheds anyway, put skis underneath and call them 'ice fishing shacks' Maybe in your case you can call it a utility trailer...and use wheels? Because it is completely portable no one can say a thing about it

Settin' Pretty is absolutely right; listen to her. Since you are already in violation having poultry, no point in ALSO being in violation on the building, that is just asking for additional trouble.

Get a permit for a storage shed, like she said. So then maybe once it's built you happen to find yourself storing chickens in it. Worst they can possibly do is make you get rid of the animals, not tear down the shed.

Good luck,

Pat

Quote:
So the zoning thing must be due to noise from roosters??? If you've got 3 acres and a barn for your horses??? That's weird that you can't have ANY chickens. My parents live in NE Portland (in the middle of the city) and they are allowed up to six hens but no roosters.

I would get the rules in writing then go from there. In addition, you probably wouldn't need a permit if the building is not on a foundation. We built our coop up off the ground so it's "moveable" although moving it would probably destroy it. Anyway, as it turned out we didn't need any permits for an "agricultural" use building.
smile.png
Hope this helps & good luck...

Back
Top Bottom