Can't get bantam to take vitamins :(

chickenbaguette

Songster
8 Years
Jul 2, 2011
I have some vitamins to give to my bantam. It's ground to a powder, but strongly orange flavoured. What do chickens really like that goes with orange? Or what will mask the smell and taste? I can't get her to take them, any tips? Thanks :L

Why would the chicken need to take vitamins? Orange flavor = human vitamins? Chickens and humans have different vitamin needs, so if you must supplement for some reason, there are poultry vitamins. Really, a complete feed is all they need, vitamins are already added.

The chicken is sick. It gets human vitamins because they have the right things in. They are not normal human vitamins. Thank you for your helpful help.

You could try tube feeding, or syringing it in. That's probably the only way it will take them. I have a thread on Tube Feeding, you can go check it out. Very easy and faster than syringing. Cheap too.

Quote:
You're asking for trouble here. Chickens have VERY different vitamin/mineral needs than humans do.

What do you mean by "not normal human vitamins"?

I'm very worried for your bird...

Quote:
You're asking for trouble here. Chickens have VERY different vitamin/mineral needs than humans do.

I agree with Wynette, this could cause harm to your bird.

Quote:

I have to agree, they are not interchangeable no matter how not normal they are. Head for the feed store and get some vitamins specifically for poultry, they aren't very expensive, and since you can mix them in the water, MUCH easier to administer.

If you'd like, post more details of your chicken's illness, there's a good chance we can diagnose it and tell you what will help.

Back
Top Bottom