cant get bator to have humidity above 40 last 2 days before hatch

AHappychick

Wanna-be Farmer
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
westchester
I have done everything I can think of all trays are filled with water (I have been doing it with a straw so as not to open bator) and there is a wet paper towel in it as well that I keep wetting through the vent hole. I wish I never got this darn humidity temp thing cause now I am all worried where before I was blissfully unaware.

Sorry you are having problems. Just keep the paper towel wet as possible. Have they pipped yet? I always have a big jump in humidity when they pip, maybe that will help out.

Have you got a vent hole you can plug? Also, a paper towel is so thin it dries out quickly. You're best bet is to use a sponge or a sock because they are thicker and will hold the water a lot longer. i take one of my husbands big socks that has a hole in the toe and wet it. It will stay wet forever.

Surface area! If you can put a pan of water in there or several sponges standing up out of the water I hope it will work! Plus plug up the vents for sure...
Good luck!

Warm wet sponges. Warm sopping wet socks, a small cup of water.
I like sponges best. I sometimes throw four in there for humidity and it works like a charm.
Plug all the vent holes too, just don't let the temp go too high
good luck
christina

(shoot for 70%)

Wondering with what and where are you measuring the humidity? I have seen folks using an Acurite think the remote probe measures humidity. It doesn't, just temperature. The whole unit has to be inside the 'bator Are the windows steamed up? If so you have lots of humidity that somehow isn't showing up on your meter. I'm not so sure about plugging vent holes, When they start pipping they need to have oxygen in there.
db

Quote:
one hole is plugged and has been since day 18, no pips yet starting to wonder.... there is one other vent hole but I was under the impression that one had to stay open for air to get in. I dont know if I should replace the paper towel with a sock because then I have to open the bator.

Quote:
I bought this fancy thermometer that measures the humidity and temp so I think it is accurate, seems to be anyway....

We are DRY AS A BONE here in the Texas Panhandle - I use a wet sponge and I ended up cutting it in fourths and only using 1/4 to keep mine at 40% -- I think its one of the western family ones and its a little bigger. "Cheep" and great -- I also leave the vent plug opened and "trying" the dry incubation technique but watching so it doesn't get down too far. We were 0.8 yesterday I believe in humidity ....
roll.png

is there steam on the window? could you spray water with a fine mist through the vent hole? does yours have a fan? if not make sure the temp/hum is exactly at the egg level...

Back
Top Bottom