Can't get hens to stop picking at each other and making another bleed..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beckie65, Mar 2, 2014.

1. beckie65

beckie65 New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    upstate new york
    Hi we started off with 2 dozen chickens 2 yrs ago, we are now down to 1 rooster and 15 hens. I have rhode island reds, new hampshire reds, and whatever whitish color breed from tractor supply. They constantly are picking or bullying each other to the point of making them bleed.. we have a pretty good sized coop and run, it is off the side of our shed, during the winter we let them out and they stay within the roofed part of shed which is dirt floor, so they can dust or just pick. I keep a heat lamp going when it's frigid, they get more than enough food and water and snacks. So why are they picking at each other so badly and what can i do to stop it. ???
    It drives me crazy when i see them like this, I have a no more rooster or bullying salve that i use with tea tree oil, but sometimes i think that's worse cause they will go after that after i put on the hen that has it on.. HELP ME !!!!

2. chicken-herder

chicken-herder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2014
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Sounds horrible! :( You really have your hands full! Can't you try to separate the main trouble-makers from the rest of your flock? :/

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Nice BYC article on ways to prevent bullying. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bullying-behavior-in-chickens I would consider getting pinless peepers and putting them on the trouble makers, or everybody if you don't know who is doing most of the pecking. I really like a bale of hay/straw, or flakes in the run/coop for helping with boredom. You also might want to consider not running the heat lamp, if your coop is draft free they probably don't need it, and if they crowd near it that may lead to pecking. ie pinless peeprs http://www.randallburkey.com/Blinders-Debeakers/products/78/

1 person likes this.
  4. tatertot

tatertot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    I have a alittle bit of feather picking...my last straw will be pinless peepers.
    I got a chicken brick and feather fixer pellets.it has a higher protein level..
    I spray blue kite on the bald areas...or purple food coloring

5. beckie65

beckie65 New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    upstate new york
    Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I have no idea which particular hen is doing it. It seems that it's a few of them more than just one.. And our coop is very drafty, it's not that well built so i keep lamp going. what are pinless peepers ??? never heard of this..

6. chicken-herder

chicken-herder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2014
    Cape Town, South Africa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by