Can't get incubator temp to 99......

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Farmin Momma, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Farmin Momma

Farmin Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Mill Creek, Wa
    My temp is eaither to high to to low. I do have a dimmer on my light, so I can keep the temp down, but not right to 99. So is it ok to be at 97 or 98?

Also to increase my humidity do I need a bigger area of water?

Thanks for any help!

2. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    What kind of set-up do you have?? Thermostat etc? Maybe even a picture might be helpful
    Ayda

3. Farmin Momma

Feb 18, 2012
    Mill Creek, Wa
    OK, well don't have a picture right now but I can describe it.

Lets see, It is in a 10 gallon fish tank. I have 1.5 inch thick Styrofoam on all four sides, with a normal fish tank lid on it and the back hole is covered with foil but there is a vent hole. I have two large clean rocks to keep heat ( not working so well) There is a 5in x 5in, 4in deep glad container half full of water in there also with a half of a see sponge in it to try and raise the humidity( just added that a few minutes ago). And I have a tube and funnel so I don't have to open the lid to add more water.

The light that I am using is a work light (like in the fish tank incubator that someone made and posted on the coops page.) With a 60 Wat bulb in it and a plug in dimmer switch attached. I have a digital thermometer with the humidity reading on it also.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    What are you using as the thermostat to control the level of heat? What is turning the light bulb off and on?

5. Farmin Momma

Feb 18, 2012
    Mill Creek, Wa
    I do not have anything to turn the light on and off. I got the temp to stay at 99, but the humidity is around 65% is it OK if the humidity is higher that 50%?

6. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    If it is the first 18 days, NO. The humidity the first 18 days needs to be around 40%.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by