cant get my hens and roosters in the chicken coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by johncv, Feb 20, 2012.

1. johncv

johncv Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2012
    louisiana
    i bought 2 roosters and 3 hens 2 days ago. The roosters are bigger then the hens. When i first let the roosters out they ran around the coop and i let them free range. When i went to let the hens out they flew away into the trees. Last night when i went to get them into the coop i could only find 1 rooster. and easily got him into the coop. This morning everyone was back except one hen. Tonight i tried to get them into the coop and could not seem to make it happen they just kept either flying or running really fast. Can anyone help me out here on getting my chickens into the coop. i tried having a trail of food leading to the coop and that didnt work they were too smart for that.

2. charmedbychickens

charmedbychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Ohio
    I leave new birds locked up in the the coop for at least a week before letting them free range. That way they know it's their home and they will go back to it every night.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I can't really help you with catching them, but I'm getting a red flag with two roos and three hens. I'm thinking that's a roo too many, your hens might be in for a pretty rough time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by