Can't get my humidity DOWN.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by renatpreschool, Oct 22, 2008.

1. renatpreschool

renatpreschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Okay, so I'm prepping my 'bator for eggs that are in the mail, on their way (SO excited, they're Silkies and Silkie/EE's) and I can't get the humidity DOWN.

I have NO water in the 'bator, with a paper towel in the bottom, and it's hanging around the mid 60's.

Took the plugs out of the top (BOTH of them) and it doesn't seem to help or hinder bringing it down more than a few %.

Ideas?

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Maybe put something in there that is more dry? Like a piece of cardboard? Since your in Tampa, the humidity is coming from the air in your house. Did you try plugging the holes? That would let less get in, I would think. Also try running a fan in the room, maybe that will help.

3. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Sometimes it takes a little while for everything to stabalize. How long have you been running it?

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Did you wash the bator first?

5. renatpreschool

Oct 15, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Have tried plugged and unplugged, can't really see a difference, but I'll try the cardboard!

I've had it running since Tuesday. That's why I'm kind of starting to wonder. It's had plenty of time to stabilize and it's not coming down. LOL, I think it's funny. Everyone else is worried about getting humidity up.

6. renatpreschool

Oct 15, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Quote:Yep, but everything was dry when I set it up early Tuesday morning.

7. katrinag

I noticed after I was my bator it takes a couple days for things to calm down and fall into place.

8. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    It took a couple of days for mine to settle, too. My humidity was in the upper 60's at first. I emptied all the water, then just let it run for a day, without opening it or doing anything else to it. It finally stabalized. Now I have to add about a spoonful of water to the center tray every other day to keep the humidity between 30% and 40%.

Maybe just give it a little more time without trying anymore adjustments??

9. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    living in fla you might need a dehumidifier in your house to get the house humidity down< Your bator takes the air from your room and in fla the humidity is always high

10. katrinag

Any better today?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by