1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Can't get rid of pinworms in chicken. Help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by myfester, Oct 13, 2011.

1. myfester

myfester Songster

Dec 8, 2009
    Oxford, PA
    I've read in this forum that chickens can't get pinworms, but I swear it's what I see in their poo every so often. They look like angel-hair spaghetti, about 2-4 inches long (hard to tell..they are all bunched up in the poo). I don't know how to insert photos in the message. They are not dark in color, but a light cream color. They don't poop them out every day...sometime it goes for months before I see some, then maybe twice a month. It's totally random. I've treated everyone with Fenbendazole almost 2 weeks ago. The last mass of worms were seen about 2 days ago and were dead...but don't know if it's from the meds or because they were out of the host for a while. Do I treat again? Am I misdiagnosing? All girls act healthy.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Most likely those are large roundworms you are seeing, not pinworms. You need to redose with fenbedazole now, then again in 10 days.

3. myfester

myfester Songster

Dec 8, 2009
    Oxford, PA
    Thank you...will redose again this evening.

4. LanaPhillips

LanaPhillips Hatching

Mar 24, 2013
    Pin worms are smaller than a grain of rice. Round and pointy/skinny. Flat small worms would be tape worms.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Definitely sounds like large roundworms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by