1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can't get rid of pinworms in chicken. Help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by myfester, Oct 13, 2011.

1. myfester

myfester Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2009
    Oxford, PA
    I've read in this forum that chickens can't get pinworms, but I swear it's what I see in their poo every so often. They look like angel-hair spaghetti, about 2-4 inches long (hard to tell..they are all bunched up in the poo). I don't know how to insert photos in the message. They are not dark in color, but a light cream color. They don't poop them out every day...sometime it goes for months before I see some, then maybe twice a month. It's totally random. I've treated everyone with Fenbendazole almost 2 weeks ago. The last mass of worms were seen about 2 days ago and were dead...but don't know if it's from the meds or because they were out of the host for a while. Do I treat again? Am I misdiagnosing? All girls act healthy.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Most likely those are large roundworms you are seeing, not pinworms. You need to redose with fenbedazole now, then again in 10 days.

3. myfester

myfester Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2009
    Oxford, PA
    Thank you...will redose again this evening.

4. LanaPhillips

LanaPhillips New Egg

Mar 24, 2013
    Pin worms are smaller than a grain of rice. Round and pointy/skinny. Flat small worms would be tape worms.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Definitely sounds like large roundworms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by