Can't get rid of rooster in Los Angeles!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tavarel, Nov 25, 2016.

1. tavarel

tavarel Just Hatched

Nov 25, 2016
    I bought 3 'pullets' from a feed store in Malibu that despite assuring me that hardly any of their officially un-sexed chickens turn out to be roosters, one of mine did. Even as a novice, I noticed within a day that he was different to the others, but they wouldn't take him back. So now I'm stuck with a rooster I don't need/want. I've contacted every farm rescue/shelter around and none will take a rooster on as they are full to capacity and tell me the chance of him being adopted in Los Angeles are slim. Apparently there is an epidemic of unwanted roosters due to the popularity of backyard chicken keeping. Obviously I would not want to risk him going to a place that might use him for meat/fighting, or anything else cruel so I'm reluctant to advertise him on Craigslist. What do people do in this situation?

2. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    Welcome to BYC!!

Unfortunately i would list on craigslist, and not be specific on his outcome on life
    more than likely it will still be better than a meat farm

the only thing that could save him is his breed, but more than likely it is hatchery stock and not worth breeding
    could try to list on BYCs where are you thread to see if anyone on here wnats him

Very sorry [​IMG] and good luck!!

3. tavarel

tavarel Just Hatched

Nov 25, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Thanks so much for replying. I believe he's an Ameracauna. He's very handsome, and wasn't cheap so I don't know if this means he's of good stock or not. Is this a breed people are interested in?

4. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    he is very handsome!

ameracaunas are very popular (as they lay blue eggs), but he may still be a bit of a mutt, check the ameracauna thread to get the specific requirements to be classified as an ameracauna
    you may have to sell as an EE because you dont know his history/parentage

i would try to list him on your local threads and craigslist, his looks may win someones heart

GOOD LUCK!!!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  5. tavarel

tavarel Just Hatched

Nov 25, 2016
    This is all great advice, thank you so much!

6. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    Thats why BYC is here [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

He is an Easter Egger and may or may not carry the blue egg gene. Hatcheries sell EEs, not usually true Ameraucanas, though finally some are getting with the program, so that would be a strike against him in one regard since a true Ameraucana may be easier to rehome as a breeding male.

EEs are a mixed bag of genetics. He's very handsome, true, and if he's not aggressive toward you, that's another plus for him. The reality of it is that some roosters are just destined to be dinner. There are so many unwanted roosters since half or more of every batch is generally male. If you give him free, they may keep him for a flock guardian or they may lie and just want him for the stew pot. You can't be a lie detector, unfortunately. So, you either charge for him and expect he'll be around your place for awhile until a buyer comes along, give him away and hope he will end up in a home that wants him alive or keep him if he's non-aggressive toward you. I love my roosters but will not tolerate one that attacks me, but I've been breeding them for awhile and have selected for an easygoing temperament and rarely have that issue.

BYC has a good classified section that includes a free rehoming section in there. And it's also broken down by age of the bird if you're asking anything for him. Generally, I would not ask more than $5-10 for him, even in L.A. He's just not rare and not a true breed. Just be sure you say he's an Easter Egger and if he is or is not showing aggression (full disclosure). Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Around here I literally can't give cockerels away, so I eat them myself.

I understand that's not an option for everyone, especially when you raised the bird as a pet.

I would try advertising him on CL or FB, etc. Put a price of $10-15 on him. If someone shows up who skeevs you out, you're under no obligation to sell them your bird. If someone shows up who seems on the level and a great home for your bird, waive the fee and gift them the bird.

The sad truth is, though, lots of cockerels end up as dinner. A good life and one bad day.....something has to die each time something else eats. Circle of life and all that. So, finding someone who wants a table bird and will humanely dispatch him and provide a meal for their family may be his destiny.

Or, if you simply can not find anyone to take him, and can not keep him, euthanize him and bury the body. Using him for compost is just as good a use of resources as eating him. Plant a bush/shrub there and watch it grow.

1 person likes this.
  9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yup, agreed. I have a 35 week old cockerel that I have been trying to sell since he was a chickster. He turned out to be a sweetheart and my husband likes him a lot, plus we have several roosters for breeding anyway, so Apollo gets to stay. But someone missed out on a great, very sweet rooster. He's not the first one I had trouble selling. And he is not hatchery, comes from excellent breeding stock.

Sometimes, I must remind myself, it's a rooster's lot in life to become dinner. If he has a good, happy life then is humanely and quickly euthanized, I must feel okay with that (though I love my roosters, and everyone on BYC knows it, too).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by