Can't Get Right Farms is New to the Coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CantGetRightFarms, Oct 18, 2019.

1. CantGetRightFarms

CantGetRightFarms Chirping

Oct 13, 2019
    Cullman County, Alabama
    "Hi, my name is Candace and I'm addicted to chickens!"
    That statement should be enough for my introduction but what the heck, I'll spill some beans regarding my chicken life.

I have been an owner of chickens for five years now but I will always consider myself as "new to chickens." They're like me after all....they just can't get right sometimes. Five years ago my husband said that he wanted some chickens so we could have fresh eggs. I agreed and told him that I wouldn't touch them because I don't like chickens. Well.....you can see where that obviously led me.

The question was asked regarding the number of chickens that I have. I know the saying goes, "never count your chickens before they hatch" but if there's an embryo in the egg, it's still a chicken right??? I will just say that right now, my live chickens and hatching eggs comes up to close to 400 beating hearts.

Here are the current breeds in my big, chicken family:
    Ayam Cemani, Ayam Ketawah, Ayam Serama, Barnevelder, Liege Fighters, Bielefelders, Altsteirers, Blue Birchen Marans, Gold Frisian Gulls, Silver Frisian Gulls, Basque Hens, Izegem Cuckoos, Bresse Whites, Light Sussex(s), Swedish Black Hens, Flarry Eye Greys, Gold Deathlayers, Rhodebars, Dampierres, Blue Gold Partridge Brahmas, Cream Legbars, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Golden Laced Wyandottes, Swedish Flower Hens, Spitzhaubens, Pita Pinta Austurianas, Black Copper Marans, Lavender Marans, 55 Flower Hens, Barbezioux, Vorwerks, Isbars, Australorps.....I think that's it.

Yes, I have a little flock of chickens. I love them from the egg stage to the leg stage. The provide food and entertainment. "Dinner and a show" right?

When I'm not being a chicken lady, I am riding my horses, fishing, gardening.....oh, and working. I work for the Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs as a Veterans Service Officer. I do have other pets besides chickens. I have two farm dogs, one service dog (Chance), two horses, an awesome Umbrella Cockatoo (Rocco) and a husband. That should cover all of the pets.

Anyways, any time I have ever looked something up on the internet regarding chickens, I've always been taken to this forum. I figured I should probably just go ahead and join. I sure as heck don't know even half of what I should know about chickens and this is the best place to learn. I look forward to chatting and learning from all of y'all.

Candace

2. mikehh

mikehh Songster

Oct 10, 2015
    :welcome
    Nice flock you’ve got there!!!

3. Kiki

Kiki Previously Texas Kiki

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    007Sean, fldiver97, penny1960 and 9 others like this.
  4. FortCluck

FortCluck Crowing

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    inCollage_20191015_144407353.jpg

007Sean, fldiver97, penny1960 and 8 others like this.
  5. BullChick

BullChick Enslaved by a Duckling

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    B074C922-50D2-4E55-9BF7-953430F838FB.jpeg

007Sean, fldiver97, rjohns39 and 7 others like this.
  6. cmfarm

cmfarm Crowing

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Welcome! You have quite the variety of chickens.

007Sean, fldiver97, penny1960 and 9 others like this.
  7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hello, Candace, welcome to BYC - you've come to the right place.

8. Meg-in-MT

Meg-in-MT Crossing the Road

Jan 29, 2018
    SW Montana
    Hello! Welcome to BYC!! :frow Would love to see pictures of your chickens and setup!

9. Sequel

Sequel Free Ranging

:frow Hi there! Welcome! I do hope you post pictures! Would love to see some of your unusual breeds!

10. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello, Candace, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    You have a huge flock and mostly uncommon breeds. Would you mind sharing some pictures?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: