Can't get them to bed

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by daver, May 19, 2011.

1. daver

daver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Linden, NC
    They know how to get out using the ramp but getting them to go in for the night is a chore.

Tonight I deliberately let them stay out to see what they would do on their own. It was still party time when the sun went down.[​IMG]

Tried enticing them with shell corn, that helped get the Brahmas in, but those little BOs are something else. I am seeing the value of a good momma hen.

Had too get DW to help get the BOs in. So it is dark by this time, I poke my head in to see if they are roosting and I can't find the five Orps!!! All ten birds were piled up in the corner by the service door with the Brahmas on top.

Whats amazing is the Brahmas are at seven weeks and the BOs are at five weeks.

Dave

2. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Just keep putting them in. They'll eventually get the message, but it might take a couple of weeks.

3. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    put a light in there for a few days to train them of where to go... this worked like a charm for my lil' uns.... I only used the light for about 5 nights and then they got the hang of it!

4. daver

Mar 11, 2011
    Linden, NC
    Did that, thanks the light has been off for about four nights now.

Dave

5. daver

Mar 11, 2011
    Linden, NC
    Twister, reread your post. Will try that, thanks.

Dave

6. daver

Mar 11, 2011
    Linden, NC
    Had better results tonight with the light on. The harder to catch BOs were in with the Brahmas still in the run, they are suckers for shell corn. Thanks for the tip

7. lfreem2

lfreem2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Waxhaw, NC
    I got great advice from folks here on this subject.

Lock them in the coop for an entire week without letting them out so they KNOW that this is their home and a place that is safe. Then, when you do let them out after the week is out, put a light on in their coop so when it is dark out they will go inside since they see the light.

This is what worked like a charm for me when my young birds didn't get that it was time to go in. I also feed them a treat every night in the coop, so they are dying to get in to see what I've got to offer them. I've never had a problem since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by