Can't get them to roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by buckrut, Mar 13, 2012.

1. buckrut

buckrut Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    New Kent County, Va.
    I guess I need to explain first, I have a 4'x6' coop attached to a 8'x16' run. As my daughter called it I built a "play ground" for them in the run part. We've had 8, year old hens and they go in the coop every night to roost. I recently got 6, 6 month old hens. I can't seem to get to roost at night. 3 will go on the coop and sleep on the floor and the other 3 stay outside on the "play ground". Their whole area is very secure but should I place them each night in the coop and close the door or just let them be where they are? Thank you in advance

2. fifibreen

fifibreen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Are the older hens with the younger hens? Maybe they are working out a pecking order, and the younger/newer ones are getting pushed to the less desirable sleeping spots?

3. buckrut

buckrut Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    New Kent County, Va.
    Yes they are all together but I have 2 poles inside and more than enough room.

4. mtnhens4

mtnhens4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Western NC
    In the beginning ours all slept on the floor, so at night we started puttng them up on the roost by hand, it only took a few nights and now everyone goes up there every night. Chickens sleep where they feel most secure which is usually the highest place that they can get to but if the older hens are pecking on them on the roost, they might prefer the floor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by