Can't get this chick to pass a poop... please help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MA Mama, Feb 12, 2012.

1. MA Mama

MA Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    MA
    I thought he had diarrhea but the oozing is only stuff that is getting around what is now an obviously poop backed up vent. Please help. I tried egg yolk, I tried a warm bath, I tried massaging it. He is such an affectionate little guy.

2. 5Leepy!

5Leepy! Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Austin, TX
    maybe feed him a little bit of olive oil to help lubricate? I'd also keep trying the warm baths and massages.

Hope he gets better soon!

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I would dip his beak in water to encourage him to drink whenever you think of it. Maybe he is a little dehydrated.

4. aaggjg

aaggjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    Did you try the oil??? It worked magic on one of my chicks that had the same problem ... pooped within a minute of getting a few drops of oil!!!

5. MA Mama

MA Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    MA
    Ok - thanks for this! I have a quick question... how exactly do you make the chick eat the olive oil? I don't have an eye dropper handy. THANKS!

6. aaggjg

aaggjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    I used a syringe with the needle taken off... and slowly put a drop on the side of the beak. Worst case scenario if you don't have any type of dropper to use you could put a little amount in a bowl and dip her beak into it..... she might drink a little that way.

Good luck!!

7. Bananaga

Bananaga Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2010
    Ellicott, Colorado
    What was your outcome with "Broccoli"? I have a little guy with seemingly the same issue...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by