Can't get (well-used) Hovabator to stabilize temp. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by iamcuriositycat, Feb 23, 2013.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    This is the same hovabator I've hatched dozens of batches in, hundreds of eggs, ducks, quail, and chicken. It's always held a steady steady temp.

My last two batches have been complete flops, and it could be that they were bad batches of eggs (I have a couple reasons to think that may be true). Now I'm trying to stick some in there again, and have been working on stabilizing my incubator since yesterday morning. It will seem to be stable for two or three hours, then I'll go in to check one last time... and it will have shot up to 103 or 104.

What the heck?

I want to put the eggs in SOON because I've got a batch under a silkie, and these are her back-ups in case any of hers fail to develop. So I want them to be at the same stage of development. I didn't prep the incubator in advance because I'm an idiot.

You'll want incy details:

Hovabator 2362N, five years old
    Circulated air
    Auto turner

Thermometer:

Polder meat thermometer, guaranteed accurate to within 1/10 of a degree. I measure temp by inserting the prong through a vent hole. It reaches to roughly mid-egg height inside the incubator. It's about two years old.

Is there something quick and easy we're likely to be able to fix this morning? Thanks!

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Do those have wafers? If it has a wafer as they do wear out.

3. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Yup, it's a wafer. Can I replace just the wafer?

4. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I am fairly sure you can replace them. check the specs at the manufacturer online... I will see if I can dig anything up too

5. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  6. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks, Sally Sunshine!! I found where I can purchase the wafer... the diagram you shared is great! I've managed to get it to stabilize, more or less, between 98 and 101. Not ideal, by any means, when I'm accustomed to it settling right at 99.5 and staying there, but enough that I've gone ahead and set the eggs. The alternative was to throw them away, so I figure it won't hurt.

I appreciate the help!

7. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Sure! Good Luck!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by