Can't help her!

newchickmom

Crowing
14 Years
Nov 8, 2007
Lafayette, Indiana
I have a young hen with prolapse.
My BO hens are just starting to lay. This one has prolapse with an egg stuck in there. I have tried everything now and cannot get the egg out.
I soaked her bum in warm water to clean her up,
I tried to find the vent to help the egg to come out,
She actually sucked the egg back in when i tried to push the prolapse back in, then she pushed it back out again with the egg still there.
I don't know what else I can do. It looks like we will have to dispatch her today. I can see no other alternative.
hit.gif

Have you tried lubricating her vent? I'm not eggsactly sure what is best to use but, maybe cooking oil, I know you can use preparation H on the outside.

Good Luck!

I've read that sometimes you can get an egg out by using vaseline or KY - then ONCE THE EGG IS OUT you use Preparation-H to shrink the tissue back to normal.

As a last resort (before killing her) could you try breaking the egg and removing it carefully piece by piece, then flushing her out with some saline? I think it would be better to try that and have a chance then killing her... It might work!

GOOD LUCK!!
hugs.gif

edited because I was thinking faster than I was typing!

Last edited:
Yes, I lubricated also. I cannot find the actual vent opening where the egg is suppose to come out. The egg seems to have tried to come out before reaching the exit hole and is in the duct(?) itself and therefore everything is now prolapsed. I don't know how else to explain it.

I would try the prep-h and try to get some of the swelling down. As someone else before me stated, before I put her down I would break the egg and try to remove it that way. Try soaking her in water more than once. It will not hurt her after all it is just water.

Back
Top Bottom