1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Can't ignore this??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by alabama girl, May 16, 2008.

1. alabama girl

alabama girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Auburn, Al
    I just got Genesis Hova bator 1583, with auto turner. Turned it on 3 hrs. ago, eggs came in the evening (silkie eggs). When should I put the eggs in, I have taken them out of the wrapping, they are sitting at room temp in the egg carton. The bator is regulating temp. at 100 degrees, pretty consistently. Please advise!!

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  2. alabama girl

Apr 5, 2008
    Auburn, Al
    Ho, please, please, somebody give me some advice.[​IMG]

3. HeatherInBama

HeatherInBama Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2007
    North Alabama
    I'd love to help you but i've had terrible luck with shipped eggs. The instructions said to let them "rest" at 60 degrees for 12 hours before incubating, and we did that, but the hatches were terrible. The ones i hatch from my own hens do well,tho.

4. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Do you have a still air or forced air? Still air is supposed to be 101 and forced air 100. I know that you are supposed to leave the eggs sit for a while to let the air cell settle. I just do not know how long you are supposed to let them sit.

Dorothy

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    All the great advice I've been given has worked. I was told to let the eggs sit big end up until at room temp. Let the incubator have a few hours to adjust and make sure that it is holding at the proper temperature and humidity. Once you are sure the temp and humidity are holding and not fluctuating and the eggs are at room temp go ahead and put them in.
    In the classroom we turned on the incubator in the morning and watched it all day making any adjustments that were needed and then let it sit over night and checked again when we came in the next morning.
    We unpacked the eggs on the second morning and let them sit all day in the class and at the end of the school day we put them in.
    The only bad luck we had was due to improper handling when shipped and one time we had a temp spike of 110 degrees to due a power outage during the evening and it zapped the bator when it came back on. We still had some hatch but a low percent.
    Good luck!
    Kate

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  6. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I would leave them overnight at least, and if your temp is right in the mornin, put em in.

7. alabama girl

Apr 5, 2008
    Auburn, Al
    O.K I don't know the difference between forced and still air, it has a picture window and a small round fan attached to it, nowhere in the manual or box is it mentioned either.
    The temperature goes down to 99 and the red light comes back on, thermostat catches up, and temp comes up to 100, then the element automatically turns off.
    All the eggs are at pointed side down, one somehow feels a little cooler than the rest.....But I'll take Yotetrappers advice and leave them both over night.
    Thankyou so very much, now I can relax and sleep.
    Amber

8. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    If you have a fan, then it is a forced air and the temp. should be 100.

9. alabama girl

Apr 5, 2008
    Auburn, Al
    Quote:Good, so it is 100 and is staying at 100, does it matter much if it goes down for maybe couple of minutes to 99, but then comes back up?

10. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Ok, I have limited (very) experience but here is what I did. I recieved my eggs from my neighbor about 2pm one day, and put them in the incubator 8 am the next morning.

I have a still air, whereas you have forced, so I dont know, but my incubator fluctuated 4 degrees throughout the whole hatch, from 99 to 102. Could NOT keep it stable. Tonight is day 18, and I just heard my EGGS peeping. All of my eggs that weren't infertile candle with chicks in them, except for 2 that quit.

I wouldnt worry if it fluctuates between 99-100, but who knows, someone else who knows more than me might correct me on that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by