Can't Keep Humidity Steady

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bokeeliachick, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Bokeeliachick

Bokeeliachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    SW Florida
    I have a Hova-Bator 1583.
    Why is my humidity so hard to control?
    Temperature stays at 99 - 100.
    But humidity has gone from 45- 66.
    ???
    It is only 2 years old.
    Is there a part that I can replace that controls humidity?
    I have the plugs in.
    The last time it was used was in a classroom and
    we had humidity issues then also.
    Had 3 chicks stuck in eggs that I blamed on
    the humidity.
    Had to basically peel the chicks out.
    They are all fine now.
    I really don't think it is my thermometer.
    I have 2 in there that are pretty close to the same numbers.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Lynn

2. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I'm having the opposite problem with my little giant... Humidity stays right between 45 and 50% but the temp is all voer the place from 97 to 102. SO frustrating! [​IMG]

3. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I have the hova 1588 and I have no issues with the humidity at all. I also have an LG, that as long as I get the top on correctly, it holds humidity and humidity just fine. I hatch in my LG and incubate in my Hova. When you filled it with water, did you spill any inside the bottom of the tray, outside the filling area? That will make the humidity go up for a bit until it evaporates. You can open a vent and that will help it go back down some.

4. 8ROYALS

8ROYALS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Petersburg, Texas
    my temp is steady, but I cannot get my humidity close to 50% for first 17 days....any suggestions? I thought about taking all the water out and starting over, but I have eggs that have to go in in the morning. thanks

5. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:What kind of bator do you have? You may try putting a wet sponge in the bator. That will boost the humidity tremendously.

6. 8ROYALS

Jul 5, 2010
    Petersburg, Texas
    I just have a clear plastic incubator...nothing fancy...I wish. I will try to put in a sponge. i want the humidity to go down from 62% to around 50% before I put the eggs in.

7. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:What are you using to check your humidity? Sounds like it isn't accurate. Chicks stuck in the shell at hatching means too low humidity. I use an Exo Terra reptile hygrometer bought at my local pet shop. I just calibrated it for my next hatch and it is dead on. [​IMG]

8. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    Quote:If I am understanding you, you are trying to get your humidity lower for the first part of the incubation. Is that right? If so, take out the water and wait for it to come down. Then you can add back a little to bring it up to where you want it. If you have vent plugs, take them out, that will release some of the humidity.

9. 8ROYALS

Jul 5, 2010
    Petersburg, Texas
    Quote:If I am understanding you, you are trying to get your humidity lower for the first part of the incubation. Is that right? If so, take out the water and wait for it to come down. Then you can add back a little to bring it up to where you want it. If you have vent plugs, take them out, that will release some of the humidity.

I did that and it finally worked...thanks.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by