Can't keep my high-spirited Americauna's laying at home!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rleepac, Oct 30, 2011.

1. rleepac

rleepac Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    I'm currently down to 4 layers right now thanks to some coyotes and hawk disasters over the past 6 months. Fortunately I've got a batch of youngin's that should be laying soon.

Anyway, 3 of my layers are Americauna and one Rhode Island Red. Red lays her eggs in one of 3 nesting boxes like a good girl. The oldest of the Americauna's lays in the nesting box the majority of the time. But the two younger Americauna's are very high-spirited and insist on hopping to the roof of our shed, then laying in the neighbor's trailer that is full of tree trimmings. Tried clipping their wing but they still manage to get over there.

I thought I'd "teach them a lesson" and I kept them in the coop for a few days where the nesting boxes are. Made sure they had fresh straw, plenty of food, and water. Day 1 - 3 eggs. Day 2 - 3 eggs. Day 3 - let them out and got no eggs in the nesting boxes as they hopped the fence and used the trailer next door. Ok. Started over with "re-training". Day 1 - nada. Day 2 - 4 eggs.

How long do I need to keep them in the coop with the nesting boxes to prevent them from hopping the fence? As I mentioned, these ladies are very high-strung and don't seem to like being told where to lay. Am I doing something wrong? Any tips or advice? I'm going to put some golf balls in their nests but I'm not very optimistic they are going to cooperate...they're quite stubborn!

Help!

2. Intetdreamer

Intetdreamer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    I can guarantee you someone will say golf balls in the nesting boxes. I don't, I just only let them free range in the evening when they are done laying. Though even when I used to let them out in the morning, not matter how far away they were from the coop they would always come back to lay.

....try leaving them cooped up (hah) for a week or so.

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I agree with Intetdreamer, I don't let my flocks out until later in the afternoon when they are (mostly) done laying. dont have the problem with them laying elsewhere anyway, though.
    sounds like clipping their wings on a very regular basis is going to be your answer along with keeping them cooped until they get the hang of it!

4. rleepac

Jun 4, 2011
    That's what I did today... I let them out after they laid their eggs. Maybe I'll try that for a while because I hate keeping them cooped up all day. Honestly, I think they do it because they know it makes me mad! They're like teenagers - they do exactly opposite of what I want them to do LOL!

5. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    They consider the trailer a "safe" place to nest. Keep them confined until they are laying consistently in the nest box. Let them out later in the afternoon and they will still have plenty of free range time. After a couple of weeks, try them again.

6. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Go clean off the roof of your neighbors trailer. Two good things here. You will get back at the chicken that is driving you crazy, and your neighbor will have a clean roof on his trailer.

Then, or if this is not an option cause your neighbor is a jerk, put the perp in the nest box, and block it so she cant get out. As soon as she makes an egg, she gets parole. Rinse and repeat. You are conditioning her to realize the nest box is the best place to be.

Then just out of spite, tie a ball and chain around her ankle so she can't fly away...

just kidding... Don't clean off your neighbors trailer. [​IMG]

7. rleepac

Jun 4, 2011
    Ha! Yes, my neighbor is a jerk and it's irritating that I don't get my fresh eggs but worse that my ladies are giving them to the jerk next door!

Great suggestions. I am going to keep them in the coop/nesting area until they lay each day and then let them out to play. Will do that for a few weeks and then see if they have been trained. Sigh...

I just had a little chat with the ladies and told them the plan. They said they will do their best and they want to make me happy, but I think they had their toes crossed [​IMG]

8. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Quote:DONT believe them for a minute. Chickens are darn liars!!!

FWIW, mine were laying on the barn floor, it only took a few days before they got the idea. It has been a week and no stray eggs. Due to the cold we are now leaving the coop closed till noon or so to keep the eggs from freezing. But they learn very quickly, good things AND bad things. Spiteful little creatures they are...

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by