Can't Keep Splash Silkie Roo*** UPDATED WITH PIC**

3GChicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 19, 2012
I am extremely bummed, my husband and I are pretty sure that we have a rooster. We got our silkie chicks about a month ago and they were about 4 weeks old. Now they are 9 weeks old and my husband is pretty sure that the splash silkie is a roo. I am bummed because the splash is one of my favorites (they are all 3 my favorite, who am I kidding). Anyway the problem is that we cannot keep the rooster.

There is no town ordinance about the chickens, but there is a noise ordinance and the rooster will definitely violate that. We also have a neighbor that complains about EVERYTHING, so I know she would definitely call the town and complain about the rooster. We cannot take him back to where we got him from. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you for any advice or suggestions.

Last edited:
Where are you located? My husband commutes to Reagan airport everyday for his job, we do not mind traveling to get him to a good home.

Before you jump to conclusions, post pics of the chick on here. 9 weeks is normally way too young to sex a silkie. I have one that is 5 months old and if 'he' hadn't crowed the other day, I would swear it was a pullet. So, before you give away your favorite, make sure that it is in fact, a roo. Who knows, you just might have a bossy little pullet :)

Could you please get a head on shot? That comb does look mighty developed for one so young :(

Back
Top Bottom