1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can't Keep Splash Silkie Roo*** UPDATED WITH PIC**

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 3GChicks, Feb 11, 2012.

1. 3GChicks

3GChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2012
    I am extremely bummed, my husband and I are pretty sure that we have a rooster. We got our silkie chicks about a month ago and they were about 4 weeks old. Now they are 9 weeks old and my husband is pretty sure that the splash silkie is a roo. I am bummed because the splash is one of my favorites (they are all 3 my favorite, who am I kidding). Anyway the problem is that we cannot keep the rooster.

There is no town ordinance about the chickens, but there is a noise ordinance and the rooster will definitely violate that. We also have a neighbor that complains about EVERYTHING, so I know she would definitely call the town and complain about the rooster. We cannot take him back to where we got him from. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you for any advice or suggestions.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    Where are you?

3. 3GChicks

Jan 19, 2012
    I am on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If I were just a little closer, I'd take him in a heartbeat. I miss my Silkie roo so much!

5. 3GChicks

Jan 19, 2012
    Where are you located? My husband commutes to Reagan airport everyday for his job, we do not mind traveling to get him to a good home.

6. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Before you jump to conclusions, post pics of the chick on here. 9 weeks is normally way too young to sex a silkie. I have one that is 5 months old and if 'he' hadn't crowed the other day, I would swear it was a pullet. So, before you give away your favorite, make sure that it is in fact, a roo. Who knows, you just might have a bossy little pullet :)

7. 3GChicks

Jan 19, 2012
    Here it is,

[​IMG]

8. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Could you please get a head on shot? That comb does look mighty developed for one so young :(

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I wouldn't rehome a silkie at 9 weeks old.. It's too soon to tell for sure, and you would really regret it if it turned out to be a girl. He/she is very pretty.

10. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by