Can't keep the roo's!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kimkrysiak, May 4, 2017.

1. kimkrysiak

kimkrysiak Just Hatched

Feb 14, 2017
    Western NY
    Good evening! [​IMG]

We live in an area that does not allow us to keep our roosters, should we have any. We started with five silkies, two did not fare well. We took on an Austrolorpe and a RIR.
    We are getting prepared for the big move into the outside coop this weekend. Our two young daughters know that we will not be able to keep the roosters and we would like to prepare them as they have grown attached to their feathers friends.
    We do have takers for the little guys.
    Would anyone have an idea as to what we may have? The silkies from what I've researched are difficult to sex until much older. They are all a month old. Appreciate the help! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You will have to wait a few more weeks on the regular chicks, and probably a few more on the silkies before you can tell.

3. ambabya

ambabya Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    It's too early
    Silkies take forever

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Silkies are extremely difficult to sex before 4-5 mos. of age - and sometimes not till they crow or lay. They are really NOT a breed to be bought as day old or young chicks, unless you can keep roos.

5. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    I am not good at guessing this young, and just as drumstick diva said silkies are near impossible

That's great that you already have a taker for your unwanted roosters!!
    Always good to be prepared!
    Good luck!

6. kimkrysiak

kimkrysiak Just Hatched

Feb 14, 2017
    Western NY
    Before we took them on we had takers for them. I'm fortunate to know a lot of chicken keepers. I'm in sales, I unfortunately can not bring them with me to have them sexed.
    We did a lot of research before adopting the breed that we decided on. We spoke with a local keeper as well. For the responsibility of by the chickens as our children silkies were our best option. It was very sad that two did not do well. Because we are not able to keep the roosters they we're replaced as we did not want to introduce anyone new next year for that would cause issues.
    Knowing early would help our children to adapt to giving the roosters a good home as opposed to an overnight lose.
    Thank you for your help everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by