can't keep up with the demand

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MuskokaChick, May 16, 2011.

1. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    I ordered 12 ready to lay, 11 were delivered...getting 7 more in July, for a total of 18.

I am getting 11 eggs/day. We dry clean them, weigh them and put them in cartons...I am getting a couple small, mostly medium and large, and one chicken (I think it's just one) is laying a double yoker almost everyday...so basically getting 10/day to put in cartons and sell. So it takes a few day to complete a carton.

I am selling the small for $3.00, Medium $3.50 and Large are $4.00...but people always give me more then I am asking for the dozen. It will take about 12 days to get a doz double yokers, and I don't have anything to fit them in...

I have a waiting list for people wanting the eggs...now I wish I just had ordered 18 off the bat.

What should I sell my double yokers for? Someone said $5.00 or $6.00/doz...I just don't know.
    [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Each to his own, but we sometimes give the double yolkers to good customers as a bonus. Or, we just eat them, either way, they won't fit in a box.

3. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    I guess I could put on in a carton every once in a while for fun.

or just eat them lol

4. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    My chicks are only 7wks old, so not laying yet....still purchasing grocery eggs until fall...

Our store had 'jumbo' eggs on sale - they were mostly double-yolkers and REALLY big single yolks. They sold 10 for $2.89 (sale). I can mail you the egg carton if that would help you.

5. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    I sell all my eggs at the same price. I keep my bantam eggs for home use, then my customers get almost off of my standard chicken eggs.

6. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    How did you guys establish a good customer base? I currently have about 16 dozen eggs in my fridge.I offer them to people for 2.50 a dozen for chicken eggs and 3.50 a dozen for duck eggs.Problem is,I'm not a super social bug and I tend to be a homebody...any ideas on how to market? I get 18 eggs (or so) a day from chickens.
    Oh, and in my area? people are selling their eggs for 3.00 and up for chicken eggs...I'm not trying to make money...just cut the feed bill.This is really just a fun hobby for me so I don't want to part with any of my hens [​IMG]
    Hey OP...maybe I could sell to you! [​IMG]

7. ksmith

ksmith Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    I am having the same issue. it seems like when I am short on eggs, everyone whats them, and when I have a bunch of eggs, no one wants any at the time! anyway.. I would sell the double yolkers for around double hwat you sell for the single yolkers. Its truly like getting 24 eggs instead of 12. I would charge around 5-6 bucks.

8. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    You need to put up a sign near the road, and small signs at feed stores
    Plus ads on Craigslist will help you get customers. I also sell some at auction when they have chicken auctions;-)

9. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    The way I got customers, other than my friends and people who know me at church and so on, is I put a small sign on my front fence that says Farm Fresh Eggs and below that I put a small sign that says yes or no. When I have eggs, I flip it to yes and when I don't I flip it to no. I always have more egg customers than eggs. Once my new chickens start laying this year, I will be setting out a table on Saturday mornings only to sell eggs. I get tired of having people knocking on my door and calling all week. I hope to sell some jam, soap and apple butter that way as well. I am upping my price to $4 a dozen and they get all sorts of eggs in a dozen. All sizes and colors, what ever I have. No picking and choosing, no sorting and separating for me. I keep the double yolkers for myself as we don't get very many. I too enjoy having the chickens and use the money to off set the cost of the feed, new coop and so on. I doubt I ever break even, but every little bit helps. When we first got chickens 10 years ago, my daughter was six and we had a soap business. She would bring the eggs to the shop and set up a table outside my shop. She had a sign that said Emily's Eggs and was so cute that she had no problem selling eggs. But now that she is 16, she has bigger fish to fry than selling eggs, so now I am taking over the egg biz.

Another person I know that sells eggs, has a sign out on the main road and then again along the way to her house. Another guy we know does it by the honor system. He has a wooden box at the end of his drive way that he fills with eggs and has a jar there for them to put their money into. HTH.

10. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I am having the same problem here... to many customers and not enough eggs LOL....I sell to my family, and co workers and my boyfriend does the same we have about 20 people who want eggs from us...we tell them they are on the list and they will get thier eggs when thier name gets to the top. They are all really happy with our system... but I would love to get more laying hens [​IMG] I sell mine for $2.50 a dozen.. my girls all lay large eggs

Last edited: May 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by