CAN'T post pic but am curious about breed of cockerel

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickchoon1, Jan 31, 2015.

1. chickchoon1

chickchoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio
    that I just caught(long story) is? He is predoninantly white with black/dark green tail feathers and a pea comb. He has black ticking(I believe its called) around his neck and cream coloring on wings. Possibly a mutt but just curious about the pea comb.His poor comb got attacked thru the fencing before I could get barriers up so its a mess now. Very easy to handle bird. Dearly wish I could have pictures but thats not going to happen. Any knowledge of who has pea combs please?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If he has feathered legs, sounds like a light Brahma. If clean legs, I don't know of anything colombian-ish colored with a pea comb...Wyandottes have rose combs. Could be an Easter egger, they're pea combed and often come in that coloring. What color are the legs? Any beard or muffs?

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

5. chickchoon1

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio
    Will look at him better in a bit. Unfortunately I forgot to put barrier up so my roo/he couldn't get heads thru fencing and his poor comb is bloodied. They can't reach each other now and I am not even sure its a pea comb. Looks like a bubbly tire tread? Am obviously ignorant. Will try to get my computer to bring up pics of suggested breeds.OK-just looked at him and yellowish legs, probably what y'all are calling a rose comb and more than likely a mutt but I am thinking Columbian(fairly common I think?) TY.And the idiot humans continue...it was before 10 this a.m. and got a call from the people at end of street(where they had caught the 2 cockerels) and they saw 2
    MORE dumped hens huddled in the middle of the snow across the street. By the time I got up there and looked at the tracks I figured out where the hens had gone-the neighbors with chickens had walked over and gotten them(not their girls either but they put them with their flock)Nobody wanted to help when it was unwanted roos so thats sad.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  6. chickchoon1

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio
    Could not bring pics up on byc so just typed in columbian wyandotte roo pics on my browser and thats what he IS. Rose comb,leg color, feathers and all.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    When you said "bubbly tire tread", I actually thought rose comb, thus colombian Wyandotte [​IMG]. Good description!

Here's a quick reference for different comb types, if it helps.....

[​IMG]

8. chickchoon1

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by