Can't post pics, sorry, but had to cull one of my cockerels

chickchoon1

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 5, 2014
Ohio
yesterday as the day before I came home to them sparring in the yard. I have 1 roo, 2 yo, and 2 teenage(?) cockerels and all had seemed peaceful until I viewed this. I KNEW it was coming but thought they would wait a while. They're appx. 7 months old and are very gentle to handle so I was initially saddened. They were born last summer to a broody hen(don't know WHO laid the hatching eggs, tho!) and didn't even realize they were cockerels until about 6 weeks ago! We were in denial and they matured much much slower than the other cockerels I have had. Hatched 3 and , obviously, 1 is a pullet, also very gentle.The meat looks fantastic even though they were as old as they were. Its sad to me when the boys have to go but too many people think they can "rehome" to a nice home and that is not a common occurence as I think a lot of the takers mislead the people getting rid of chickens. My point being if they live here they stay here. Fortunately my son does most of the slaughter and he has a huge heart but doesn't get emotional like myself. Even the father to these 2 cockerels is still a friendly bird. First roo we have allowed to stay because of that. Now the remaining cockerel better behave until I have a warmer day to process.

Good for you for having a realistic idea of what happens to extra roosters. We have the same "if it lives here it stays here" policy. I've put the time and money into feeding and raising them. I'm not going to sell them for little or nothing for someone else to enjoy!

I have 6 cockerels that need to go. One was hatched in May (brood of 5 - two cockerels and three pullets), the other five were hatched in July (brood of 8 - five cockerels and three pullets). I plan on canning them, so I wanted them to get as much meat on them as possible.

Thanks for reminding me of canning possibility. Have only canned apples(first time this year after having apple trees for 27 yrs!) and was shocked how easy it was. Will need to read up on doing meat.

You will need a pressure scanner for meat. Other than that, it's not terribly different. Cans of chicken meat have saved my evening several times!

We can a lot of chickens...and depending how the hunt went...venison.

I will be butchering some 7 month old brahmas tomorrow morning.

Just finished off the chicken soup ( 6 month bcm cockerel )

I have a small flock. So only one roo allowed.

I work on a lot of rural properties. It is sad to see the condition of some of these flocks when the coop is to small & way to many roos. I don't know if the owners don't see it...or choose to ignore.
I do understand for many these are their dear pets.

Back
Top Bottom