Cant quite believe I did this...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cattbird, Aug 31, 2009.

1. cattbird

cattbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Essex Uk
    ..Or that i'm confessing to it!

I was in a rush to go out this morning, checked on bator found humidity was at 58, so quickly opened the lid for a couple of mins to bring it down....
    and forgot to place lid back on! [​IMG]

I was gone for 2.5 hours and it took a further 30 minutes to bring temp back up. They incubator was at 74Farenheit when I discovered my mistake. I have 4 miniature Silkies cooking, around day 15.

Have they got any chance??

2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Hope so -I only incubated 2 x's. Good luck and post hatching pics! [​IMG]

3. rubyeta

rubyeta Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2009
    hi, I am new at this. I had a mama abandon the eggs after 15 days of sitting on them. I took 3 away after probably 4 hours and put them under a light bulb! Yesterday was day 18, and one hatched! (I had to help a little, because the membrane was dried out. I dont have an incubator, so had a hard time controlling humidity and temp. now I am waiting for the other 2. I think yours will be fine!

4. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Well, IDK, but I wouldn't give up. Bring them back up to stable temps and then candle the next day to see if they are still alive. You may just have a miricle.....I cracked a lav orp egg once (bad crack) and I got it to hatch! So miricles happen [​IMG]

5. cattbird

cattbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Essex Uk
    Thanks for your answers.

I candled tonight and saw all 4 babies moving about.. so maybe it'll be okay. Not sure if it takes time for them to die or if they would have by now?

6. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Since they're still moving, I'd say they're fine. If it was going to kill them, they'd have died then, while they were cold, not later.

By day 15, they're producing some body heat of their own, so the internal temps probably never got as low as the air temp.

I had a hen repeatedly come back and get on the wrong nest, her eggs got cold to the touch almost daily, and still most of them hatched. The ones that didn't get broken, anyway. She started with 12, had 6 left by hatch day, and I'd washed those every time an egg was broken in the nest, and they got goo all over them. The last time was a couple of days prior to hatch, I thought they were a lost cause by then, I didn't even take to back to the house to clean them off with warm water. I washed them off under the cold water faucet at the coop. Stuck them back under Mom. 5 of those 6 eggs hatched. All healthy, all survived and grew up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by