Can't raise humidity! And in lock down :/

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickaroos, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Chickaroos

Chickaroos Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    I am in late day 2 of lock down and my humidity is stuck at 55! I have a moist wash cloth in there, two small dishes with water and areas in bottom of bator fill! Temp is a steady 100. Help I'm worried!

2. Chickaroos

Mar 6, 2012
    I put the two plugs back in and humidity is up to 67. Is that ok???

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    67% is perfect, but make sure you leave enough ventilation holes open. The chicks will need the extra oxygen at this stage. Good luck!

4. Chickaroos

Mar 6, 2012
    Thank you! We have 7 pipped! and hearing lots of cherps! :)

5. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Great! How many eggs did you set?

6. Chickaroos

Mar 6, 2012
    11 (one was a dud. Saw no growth during candling) so we are at 10 now.! This is our first incubation!

7. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    So 7/10 pipped? Fingers crossed the other 3 follow soon!

8. aidensmomma

aidensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    North Central Florida
    I am having the same problem. this is my second hatch. i'm using a newer incubator, same brand (the dreaded still air LG) and doing the same things I did for the first hatch last week but the humidity is doing good to stay at 59%...I just plugged the vent holes after reading this and I have the humidifier in there and running hot water in the washer (which raised it a few degrees last time). Is 59-60% high enough? or am I going to shrink wrap them?

9. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You should get away with 59-60% but it's a bit lower than what I feel comfortable with. I prefer keeping it in the low to high 60's.

Have you got space in there for another shallow water container? The bigger the water surface, the higher the humidity should be in theory. If space is limited and you need to get it a bit higher, what you can do is take some toilet paper/kitchen roll, wet it and put that in there. If you have a clean straw handy that will fit through the vent holes, put it near a vent hole so you can top it up with the straw without having to the open the lid. In my Brinsea Eco 20 (forced air) I bump the humidity up by 10% with a smallish wad of wet T-paper. Good luck with the hatch!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  10. aidensmomma

aidensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    North Central Florida
    I'm starting to think I need to invest more in a hygrometer. I'm getting two different readings and I've had 1 hatch with 2 zipping now. Although I've seen nothing from the remaining 14. Is it safe to think that since I have some hatching perfectly that the rest might just wait till day 22 or 23? Also, I see some green uckiness near the chick...not sure if she puked it or pooped it but should I be concerned? or is this just an after hatch thing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by