Can't recall - hummingbird water how much?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gritsar, Apr 14, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I usually give the hummingbirds homemade sugar water, since the commercial stuff is so expensive. The hummers flog our feeders, emptying two - 1 pint feeders every other day.
    Hummer season has started and I can't remember the proportion of sugar to water.
    Is it 3 cups water to 1 cup of water?

2. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, I think it is. do you boil yours? I read if you boil it, it won't sour as fast, but I tried it both ways and don't think it makes a bit of difference. I also read an article that said start out with it really strong, like the 3-to-1 ratio, and then when they are coming at a good rate, cut it back a little bit. One old couple that lived close to my mom used 35#'s of sugar one summer, they had so many!!! Wish I had about half that. Ihave a bully that comes back every year and I hang two or three out, so they have a choice, but he chases them all over. . .imagine a bully that weighs a couple of ounces!!! [​IMG]

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Oh I know. If we are sitting outside when they start fighting over the feeders they get so distracted they run into us! We get so many that you can hear the buzz of their wings sitting in the living room.
    Yes, I boil the water to melt the sugar well.
    Thanks.

4. eaganchickens

eaganchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    Eagan,MN
    1 part sugar to 4 parts water. [​IMG]

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by