Can't see a darn thing

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tryingtohaveitall, May 4, 2009.

1. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    [​IMG] I've tried with the two flashlights that we have and a 60 W bulb through a hole in a box and using a toilet paper roll. I can see an air sac but I can't see anything in my eggs other than to tell that it's dark. They're on day 13/14 of incubation, so I know I should be able to see something. I can't build a real candler with wood, but what other things can I try? I know I need to buy a bigger flashlight, though those of you with kids will understand the short lifespan flashlights have in our house. [​IMG]

Thanks for the suggestions!

2. Lyz

Lyz Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    use an LED flashlight...and make sure the room is dark when you do it....what color are the eggs....

3. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    At about day 14, the eggs do start getting very dark and more difficult to see, especially if they are small eggs. If you have a movie or slide projector, they are great to hold the egg over while cupped between your thumb and point finger(point projector at ceiling). That's what I've been using, but it helps a great deal to turn off all lights and do it in a dark room....., can really make the difference, even w/flashlight and box over bulb method.

4. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Good tips, thanks. They're brown eggs (light Brahmas). At this point, I don't smell anything bad, so I guess I'll keep them all going til I get a better flashlight or see pips. [​IMG]

5. chickie_mama

chickie_mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Lula, GA
    I have a mini mag light that fits on my key chain that I use. It's really tiny, but puts out a heck of a lot of light.

6. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    Try again with the light in a box but put in a 100w bulb and make sure the room is totally dark. I can candle my dark brown or blue/green eggs easily this way. Sometimes you have to turn the egg different ways until you can see into it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by