Can't see though egg anymore, normal?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken-owner-31, Jan 17, 2011.

1. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    I went into lockdown today. I tried to candle, but couldn't see into the egg anymore. I had been seeing development. I couldn't even see the air cell. I was REALLY hoping to see that to make sure that it was big enough.

Humidity was around 25-45% the entire 1-18. It was hard to keep steady after I took out the clears (leaving 2....one had development, I have never been able to see into the other and am just crossing my fingers!)

I have a Brinsea mini advance, turner is off and shelf liner is on the bottom. Humidity is at 80% now with both pots filled. (I basically ran it mostly dry day 1-18, in the south we have high humidity here.) Is that too high? I have a feeling it will drop pretty consistently over the next couple days.

I guess maybe I just need moral support, haha!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You CAN see the air sack can't you?

3. chicken-owner-31

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    No.....I saw it last time I candled. Although it was lighter in the room when I tried it today, because it was 5:00 when they were supposed to go into lockdown. Should I try again now that it's completely dark outside? Would that be bad?

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Ok, I can tell you that it is REALLY WEIRD if the entire egg is dark inside. Are they dark brown shells?

5. chicken-owner-31

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    No, the one is a lightish brown shell. Like I said, I could see through it all along until earlier today when I put them in lockdown. I don't think the flashlight (LED) is to blame (might be user error, though!) The other one is a green egg that I haven't seen through since day 1. I have already decided that I am getting a stronger flashlight for the next time. This is a military issue (literally) MP flashlight, so it's killing me to think that it isn't bright enough! We put brand new batteries in it right before the eggs went in the bator and it has only been used to candle (5 or 6 times per egg total.)

I am one of those who would have no luck at all without bad luck, so I am already expecting the worst. But hoping for the best. [​IMG]

6. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I had one like this on my one and only hatch (two weeks ago). I thought for sure it was a goner, that it wouldn't hatch. I was heart broken... but several hours later I heard my eggs peeping. I could not tell which ones were peeping, but surely the one that had grown into the whole shell would not make it... Another hour later I picked up Mama Louisa and this darling baby had popped out, was dried and fluffy. I never did see it pip or zip. It just arrived.

It might do just fine. I'll wave my magical wand.

Jenny

7. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] Keep thinking positively. Don't give up. [​IMG]

8. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:you should of been able to see threw all the eggs on Day 1. So, I suspect it is the flashlight. If you have a super bright one and it has a wide lens - - you might need to cup you hand or build a funnel of some kind to channel the light into the egg.

I candled my marans eggs with a LED light on day one and Day 7. It was a $20 LED flashlight sold at Homedepot, ace hardware, etc. NOTHING SPECIAL. HOWEVER, if I didn't hold the egg just right or cup my hand just right, I couldn't see the Day 7 developement.

9. chicken-owner-31

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    Thanks for the encouragement. [​IMG]

I'm thinking it probably is user error. This is a BRIGHT flashlight, and these eggs are not as dark as many I've seen posted on here. I've tried to just cup my hand around the light and the egg, but it seems like I am just candling my fingers half the time. I suppose some things are worth the lesson, but I feel bad for the baby that I KNOW was forming if I've killed it.

Trying not to count my chickens before they hatch, but trying to not count them out either! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by